Similar questions from the community
is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV
I want to bring the iTunes library to my stereo, and googling on this there were a number of posts that suggested that Airport Extreme had better decoding for CD quality audio then did the AppleTV. All the iTunes files are of course digital, and I am intending to use the optical output of either the Airport Express or AppleTV.
To really hear a difference I would need to do an A/B test of one against the other - which I do not intend to do, but I do have a very high end system so when things are not as they should be there is no hiding it.
I don't need the AppleTV right now for the theater setting - so video streaming ability would be on hold there, for now but likely added sometime in the next year or so.
It's really a matter of which device is going to be better for delivering the iTunes music library to the stereo system. Why there would be a different between the Airport Extreme and the AppleTV is not clear to me. The limiting source would seem to be the bit rate of the files in iTunes - but perhaps I am missing something. Perhaps there is a difference in DA converters - though that too would seem strange, but with the use of the Digital Optical Out I would think that there should be no difference.
But certainly better to know about it before I buy the device and get it set up - appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
- Asked by Dan R from Superior
- Flag as inappropriate (is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV)
airport express multi amp/speaker/system
I want to just extend my wireless system. I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE AIRPLAY OPTION.
So can I use say Pandora, Tunein etc. and select my wireless instead of Airplay and send the same thing to both my express units? (2) That way I can play to my stereo/ amp /speaker/ volume controlled in two places at the same time. I am not sure my question is clear since I seem to be getting different replays.
I currently have the 1st gen. express and play into my amp vis a cable. I see that amp port is still on the new gen. so I was in hope this can be done.
- Asked by Gary S from Lake Oswego
- Flag as inappropriate (airport express multi amp/speaker/system)
No answers yet
Can you use the Airport Express system to link to play music straight through from the Iphone to a normal hifi that only has a standard audio input?
I have a speaker system that only has an audio stereo cable input (left right stereo cable) and want to be able to play music through the wifi to this speaker set. Is this possible?
The base system doesn't seem to have the required outputs to make this happen.
Does airport express have digital input?
Does the airport express have a digital input as well as analogue input? I want to connect to my digital surround sound system with optical cable, is this possible with airport express or will i need to buy apple tv unit? Cheers guys
- Asked by James D
- Flag as inappropriate (Does airport express have digital input?)
Streaming audio from iTunes on iMac. Apple TV or Airport express? confused...
So 3 audio systems with traditional amplifier/speakers.
Want to selectively route iTunes audio (using PureMusic if possible) to these systems but they are a good distance from the computer. Looked at Apple TV but only has optical audio out which doesn't work with my amps. Also I read about Airport Express but this seems to want to be a router and setup and network and I already have a router etc... can airport express just sit on the network and give me regular audio out to the amplifiers and if so, is it high quality audio (noticed only has a 3.5mm jack).
Is there a higher end solution to this? Read about Sonos a little etc...
- Asked by Simon C from Raleigh
- Flag as inappropriate (Streaming audio from iTunes on iMac. Apple TV or Airport express? confused...)
- Asked about: Mac
can airport express work with window vista operating system
I want to use Airport Express in India the Operating system here is Window Vista, and I am not able to connect the same.
- Asked by Meena D from St.thomas
- Flag as inappropriate (can airport express work with window vista operating system)
Will the Airport Express work with a satellite broadband system (Tooway)?
i.e. by connecting the Airport to the satellite modem via ethernet cable will this enable me to connect other devices (e.g. iphone and ipad) wirelessly?
- Asked by Richard F
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express work with a satellite broadband system (Tooway)?)
airport express connection to stereo
- Asked by Derrick S from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate (airport express connection to stereo)
No answers yet
Can music be streamed from sources other than iTunes like Pandora?
My current set up is using a stereo Fm transmitter. I am able to listen to music all over my property wherever i have a sound system equiped with a tuner. With my IPhone plugged in, I can listen to Pandora, Internet radio stations or iTunes. I can also listen to XM radio when plugged in.
The only thing I do not like is the sound quality; there is a constant low frequency hum in the background.
I am willing to purchase an Extreme for each sound system but if i am limited to itunes and cannot steam Pandora, XM or Internet radio, it is not worth it.
- Asked by Joey G from Beebe Plain
- Flag as inappropriate (Can music be streamed from sources other than iTunes like Pandora?)
whats needed to stream music to non wireless stereo system?
I need to stream to a Bang & olufsen system
- Asked by Gary R from Paradise Valley
- Flag as inappropriate (whats needed to stream music to non wireless stereo system?)
Can I use an AirPort Express with a WD 6TB My Book Thunderbolt Duo Dual-Drive Storage System and a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter?
To stream music using iTunes. Both when iMac is on and using iPhone or iPad when iMac is off.
B&O Beosound 3200 compatibility with Airport Express
I wish to play iTunes from the PC in another room through my Bang & Olufsen Beosound 3200 system. (I already have a wifi router set up).
I'd like confirmation - before buying it - that the Airport Express will link to my B&O system; and also confirm if/which additional cable needs to be purchased.
Thanking you kindly in advance
- Asked by Martin A from Sydney
- Flag as inappropriate (B&O Beosound 3200 compatibility with Airport Express)
Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?
If I buy the Airport Express Base station will it replace the airport card which was removed from my Imac as it was causing problem and let me use the Wifi. At the moment I am using a wired connection to me modem.
I am running OS 10.6.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.1f5
Serial Number (system): CK62106MU2S
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB861618
- Asked by Paul R
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Airport Express Base station substitute for my removed Airport card?)
Does the USB port power third party peripherals?
I wish to use the airport express to stream (airplay) music to a hi-fi system.
In order to connect the airport express (digital optical out) to the amp (analogue RCA phono) I will need to use a digital to analogue converter.
The majority of these are mains powered but I am looking at a USB powered one and I need to know if the USB port on the airport express will be able to power a digital to analogue converter as it appears its main function is to connect to a printer.
- Asked by Steven H
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the USB port power third party peripherals?)
Airport express or apple tv
The apple Tv and Airport express are the same price but the Apple Tv does more.
Should i buy an Apple tv to stream my music to my stereo in the other room ?
Or should i buy a Airport express ?
Does the Airport express have more faetures that the Apple TV doesn't have ?
I currently have
I just want to be ablle to stream music tto the stereo's i have through my Two storry house
I just purchaced the Airport Express but i'm now thinking i should of bought another Apple TV ?
- Asked by David C from Kingsley
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport express or apple tv)
2 new airport express, 1 avr, 1 stereo receiver
Can i make this configuration?
1. First Airport express connected to my dlink router via wan port.
2. Second airport express extending the First Express wifi network without ethernet cable.
3. Connect at the second airport express my denon receiver through it´s LAN port so i can manage my receiver with it´s own app.
4. Connect the first airport express with a stereo cable to a stereo receiver to airplay.
- Asked by Francisco M from Norden
- Flag as inappropriate (2 new airport express, 1 avr, 1 stereo receiver)
No answers yet
Will the express work without a personal router or can i use my game system as one
- Asked by Keith M from Poplar Bluff
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the express work without a personal router or can i use my game system as one)
Provided I connect this with an audio cable, I can send music from iTunes on my iPad to play on my older (5 yo) mini hi-fi?
My hi-fi is an LG, about 5 yo, has dual AV inputs on back exactly as described in Airport Express user manual, so shouldn't be a problem to connect it. Can play music from a USB stick & can play from CDs burned on a computer (my previous one couldn't).
Am hoping this will enable me to play my iTunes music from my iPad, trying to avoid need to buy new, expensive dock for iPad to get good music quality!
- Asked by Jenifer R from New Town
- Flag as inappropriate (Provided I connect this with an audio cable, I can send music from iTunes on my iPad to play on my older (5 yo) mini hi-fi?)
Can the Airport Express use a cell phone "hotspot"?
While sailing in Puget Sound, I use my cell phone "hot Spot" for a wireless access point. However the range is limited. Could an Airport Express use the hotspot as the "Source" network and extend it?
- Asked by Arnie H from Bremerton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Express use a cell phone "hotspot"?)