Can I use an Airport Express to print wirelessly on a home network that has an Airport Extreme as the base station?
I want to print via wireless to a printer that (because of distance/location) cannot be directly connected to my Airport Extreme.
- MacBook Pro used in various locations in the home.
- iMac in fixed location.
- Airport Extreme located near FIOS connection.
- Printer (Hewlett Packard LaserJet P2055dn) located in a completely different room.
- Asked by Larry K from Germantown
QA AirPort Extreme Base Station
Product No Longer Available
2 Answers from the Community
Yes, connect that printer to an Express with Ethernet cable and setup the Express to join, not extend, your wireless network.
- Answered by Andrew H from Carmel
In order to print via wireless, you have 3 choices:
1. Move your printer to connect via USB to your extreme base station
2. I looked up your printer and wireless printing (optional connectivity) requires a HP Jetdirect ew2400 802.11g Wireless Print Server, which would allow you to keep your printer where it is, but is a bit pricey.
3. A third choice could be buy an Airport Express. plug it in an outlet near your printer so you can connect it. This requires enabling/configuring "allow this network to be extended" on the airport express. use the google/support page to help set it up.
- Answered by Christian D from Pasadena