Thunderbolt port to mini-Displayport via Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable
Will a Thunderbolt cable connect a 2012 MacbookPro (with a Thunderbolt port) to a late-2009 iMac (with a miniDisplay port) and operate in target mode? What about audio signal as well as video?
- Asked by Andrew M from Darien
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt port to mini-Displayport via Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable)
2 Answers from the Community
All you need is a mini-Displayport to mini-Displayport cable. Skip this upscale Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable. You'll find mini-Displayport to mini-Displayport cables much cheaper in other retailers.
- Answered by Meng W from Ansonia
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The simple answer is no. The Mini-DisplayPort in your 2009-era iMac won't understand the thunderbolt signal. The Mini-DisplayPort in your iMac doesn't have a data channel the way ThunderBolt does, so it can't work in Target mode. Also, I've tried connecting ThunderBolt MacBooks to my 2009-era 27" iMac with a Mini-DisplayPort cable and the iMac doesn't recognize the laptop and doesn't display it's contents on the screen.
Sadly. despite looking physically identical, ThunderBolt and Mini-DisplayPort don't play well together.
- Answered by Matthew S from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Macbook Air Mini DisplayPort
- Asked by Bryce B from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate (Macbook Air Mini DisplayPort)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
No answers yet
What are the USB ports and Ethernet port on Thunderbolt Displays used for?
- Asked by Vaibhav D from Pune
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the USB ports and Ethernet port on Thunderbolt Displays used for?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
connect this to thunderbolt display
- Asked by Dewey N from Dunedin
- Flag as inappropriate (connect this to thunderbolt display)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
No answers yet