Is this cable backwards compatible with mini display port?
Meaning could I use it on my 2009 macbook pro as mini display port to mini display port or mini display port to thunderbolt. I was looking into getting one and if this can do both I would get this for whenever I upgrade my macbook pro. I dont think it is but just wanted to make sure.
- Asked by Eric N from Newington
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this cable backwards compatible with mini display port?)
4 Answers from the Community
Guy at Providence RI Apple store told me it will work with my old MBP late 2008 model mini display port. I was surprised...waiting to test it out sometime if I get the chance. Wondering what the transfer speed might be.
- Answered by Daniel B from Newport
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No. This cable can only be used with Thunderbolt ports.
- Answered by Eric A from Cupertino
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Since your MBP is not Thunderbolt-compatible, the cable will not allow Thunderbolt communication. I can't tell if it would work for Mini Displayport only - as it has chips inside, it is more than a dumb cable - but at 49$, it is way too expensive for this use.
- Answered by Louis B from Alma
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Yes, it works with mini displayport too.
- Answered by Ryan G from Abbotsford
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Is is thunderbolt backwards compatible with mini display port devices and cables?
- Asked by Hasan N from Iselin
- Flag as inappropriate (Is is thunderbolt backwards compatible with mini display port devices and cables?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter