Will the EarPods work with other smartphones and audio devices?
The new EarPods look like incredible headphones and I'm wondering if I can use them with my Android device since I'm not an iPhone user. I understand the remote and volume control are software based and thus not supported, but what about the audio enhancements.
- Asked by Brandon H from Johnson City
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the EarPods work with other smartphones and audio devices?)
52 Answers from the Community
Yes the EarPods work with other smartphones and audio devices. I have been using EarPods with my HTC Wildfire S.As for the audio control it works for it too.
- Answered by Yousuf S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The EarPods use a standard 3.5mm jack which means it'll work with all kinds of music players & Android phones. Was that your question?
- Answered by Amr K
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Work on my Galaxy Nexus.
The play/pause button works too, and tapping twice will skip track, but 3 taps for previous and volume up/down do not work. Sound good though.
- Answered by Rob A
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
EarPods, at least as headphones, work anywhere you can plug them in. As for the microphone and controls, pretty much all current Android smartphones can take advantage of them. Other audio devices, such as old or uncommon MP3 players (aka non-iPod) probably can't make use of the mic and controls, but the sound will still work just fine.
- Answered by Paul H from Dallas
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and based on the "most useful" responses I read on this thread, I purchased a pair of EarPods with remote and mic to use as my hands-free device. The audio works (I can hear the other person) but the mic does not (they cannot hear me). Additionally, when I tried to use the mic, apparently the person I was calling heard a noise similar to a dial-up modem. Very disappointed, as these are the only headphones I have ever tried that fit comfortably in my ears and I have no plans to buy an iPhone.
- Answered by Corey E from Hackettstown
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
They work with Android, even the remote does.
- Answered by Benny S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
Audio probably works, but unless your Android device understands the input coming from the volume up and down, and the pause/play button, it may not work well to control your music.
- Answered by Howard D I from Dallas
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 7
They will work but the volume and/or mic features might not...same problem in the previous version of them
- Answered by Bradley W from Kennesaw
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 8
By audio enhancements, I assume you are referring to the enhanced sound output that is supposed to result from the improved earbud design. If that's the case, then yes you will have the same sound audio enhancements as someone using an Apple device.
- Answered by Joshua C from Provo
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 9
They will function as headphones in anything with a 3.5mm jack, but the remote and mic will only work on an iDevice.
- Answered by Alexander O
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 10
The earpods work on HTC phones (Android & Windows Phones). They do not work on Samsung & Nokia phones. I'm a big fan of these ear pods but I do not use an iphone. It looks like pretty much everyone on this thread is wrong. The headset works on any device with a 3.5mm jack, but the mic only works on HTC phones. There may be an exception here and there but this is what I found in my testing.
- Answered by Sai C from Fremont
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 11
Yes. The microphone and headphones will work with other devices that have a 3.5mm headset jack. Volume controls are not supported.
- Answered by Jonathan C from Markham
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 12
the basic features should work with all phones with the 3.5 mm jack, but volume buttons may have some issues with other devices
- Answered by Shashank S from College Station
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 13
it really depends, if the audio enhancement is software based then it wont on other devices. If the enhancement is the hardware then it will work with the other devices. like you said yes the controls wont work on other devices. For me my android the play/pause button works and the mic but thats it.
- Answered by Reece H
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 14
- Answered by Lester O
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 15
I just tested my pair on my Lumia 635 (running Windows Phone 8.1) and I found out that the following functions work:
• Play/Pause works just fine.
• Holding down the center button for a short time activates Cortana, and the mic on the accessory can also be used.
• Double-pressing the center button skips forward a track, and three times goes back one or restarts the current one, if a song is already playing.
The following functions DO NOT work:
• Volume up/down using the remote buttons
• rewind/fast forward using the center button
I know this doesn't answer the original question, but I wrote this response for people using a Windows Phone with the EarPods.
- Answered by David F from Berkeley Heights
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 16
we have 3 pairs and they do NOT work with my Samsung S3 or my work Nokia Lumia 710, they do work on my daughters iPhone 5c and my wife's iPhone 5S. All i get when i make calls on my Samsung or windows phone is a high pitch noise on the other end and the person cant hear me at all.
I dont understand this since it should be a standard 3.5 jack and my samsung ear buds work in the iPhone, tested this with all 3 sets of the ear Apple Earpods and get the same results.
- Answered by William R from Fuquay Varina
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 17
The audio enhancements aren't software related, so yes, the EarPods will work with Android devices that use the standard 3.5 mm jack (which is pretty much all of them). Some Android phones do support the remote functions as well.
- Answered by Samuel B from Fort Mill
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 18
Almost everyone is wrong. These earpods are not just headset. Apple uses technology which doesn't work on all devices, but probably on most it does. E. x. It works on Galaxy Ace with Ginger Bread, but don't work on Sony Ericsson WT19i with ICS and my old TV. I don't know if it is because of operating system version or hardware (WT19i is better in performance than Galaxy Ace)
- Answered by Paulius V
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 19
They are like any standard earbuds. The remote and mic are not available with android devices. All of the other audio features built in should work just fine.
- Answered by Nicky C from Dix Hills
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 20
Using iOS 5 can I listen to music, audio books from itunes with bluetooth device?
- Asked by Rhonda M from Buffalo
- Flag as inappropriate (Using iOS 5 can I listen to music, audio books from itunes with bluetooth device?)
- Asked about: iPhone
What cameras work with this device
- Asked by Kelly B from West Palm Beach
- Flag as inappropriate (What cameras work with this device)
- Asked about: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
No answers yet