Thunderbolt -> Firewire capacity?
Is there a limit to how many Firewire drives I can daisy chain off one Thunderbolt port? I have about 7 units
- Asked by Calvin H from Glendale
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt -> Firewire capacity?)
2 Answers from the Community
Thunderbolt daisychain capacity is 6 units but that's with thunderbolt protocol. If your talking to the Firewire adapter, the computer should see only one thunderbolt device and allow you the full 63 daisy-chained devices of the FireWire protocol...
Try it and tell us about it!
- Answered by Felix A from Montreal
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Logical connections won't be a problem (firewire supports up to 63 devices in tree or daisy chain topology)
Power could be a problem if all your firewire drives are powered via the firewire port (not plugged into AC).
You could connect an AC powered drive to the Adapter and daisy chain off that.
- Answered by Chris S from San Jose
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
can i use iMacs thunderbolt port with this device with a firewire/thunderbolt adapter
- Asked by Stuart D from Rolling Hills Estates
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use iMacs thunderbolt port with this device with a firewire/thunderbolt adapter)
- Asked about: G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE mini USB 3…
How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?
- Asked by Markos A from Carss Park
- Flag as inappropriate (How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…