Does this magnet cover demagnetize credit cards or hotel keys?
- Asked by Laura Jean C from Leland
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this magnet cover demagnetize credit cards or hotel keys?)
5 Answers from the Community
The magnets in the smart cover can indeed damage any card that has a magnetic strip on the back. It is unlikely (although not impossible) that this could happen from simply placing a card on or near the cover, but it will almost cirtainly happen if the card is swiped across the magnet multiple times.
- Answered by Daniel S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The smart cover is ABSOLUTELY magnetized, that's how I'm able to plant it against my refrigerator and hold the iPad up. I have placed my credit cards on the iPad with and without the cover with no issues just laying them there. I do not think the strength of the magnets is enough to hurt credit cards but there's no point in pushing it.
- Answered by Nick L from Jacksonville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Any magnet has the potential to interfere with a credit card strip. To be safe I would keep your credit cards away from the right side of the smart cover where the magnet resides.
- Answered by Jason M from Ottawa
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Credit cards seem to do okay since they are in a wallet, but the cover demagnetized my ship stateroom key and I assume it would do the same to a hotel room key.
- Answered by Anne B from Dacula
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
My wife is in India right now and the hotel key keeps getting demagnitized!
My guess from the other responses regarding credit cards is they are much more robust and aren't getting demagnitized.
- Answered by Harry S from Chicago
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
Can I use this to put a hold on a credit card?
- Asked by Conor M
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to put a hold on a credit card?)
- Asked about: payleven Chip and PIN Bluetooth Car…
Will this adaptor work with Mobuyle Credit Card Reader?
- Asked by Donald F from Alachua
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adaptor work with Mobuyle Credit Card Reader?)
- Asked about: Apple iPhone TTY Adapter