I got a raspberry Pi for christmas- If you don't know what it is it is a aRM GNU/Lunix box
Anyways I need a monitor and I have been thinking about getting a thunderbolt display for my 2011 MBP 15" and was hoping to kinda kill 2 birds with one stone here....
The Raspberry Pi connects via HDMI and I know you can get a thunderbolt to HDMI cable so would this work????
It is an expensive monitor so if it won't work I will just have to buy a samsung or similar >_<
- Asked by Nick K from Kew
- Flag as inappropriate (I got a raspberry Pi for christmas- If you don't know what it is it is a aRM GNU/Lunix box)
2 Answers from the Community
NO! This won't work! Don't buy this display expecting it to work with your Raspberry Pi, or for that matter ANY OTHER DEVICE that doesn't have a native Thunderbolt port on board.
You cannot convert a video signal TO Thunderbolt.
And you cannot add Thunderbolt output to a system that doesn't have it supported on the motherboard.
Converters and adapters only go the other way TB -> HDMI / VGA / DVI etc. Thus allow connecting a TB Mac (or PC) to a non TB display.
You *might* be able to get your Raspberry Pi working with the Mini Display Port version of this display, the "Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel)".
You'll need an adapter: I believe the Belkin AV360 adapter might work for you (but i've not used it personally).
- Answered by Alex K from Wells
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes it should work. The Apple Thunderbolt Display should be like any other monitor as long as you connect it via thunderbolt cable. I don't think there is a way for it to check and see if the computer is a Mac or not, it just recognizes the input. I am using my new 2012 MacBook Pro's thunderbolt port currently to connect to a Hanns.G monitor using a thunderbolt to hdmi cable and it works perfectly fine! So to my fullest extent of my knowledge, as long as you get a cable like mine, you should be perfectly set without any problems whenever you connect your Raspberry Pi to this monitor.
- Answered by Tyler V from Bella Vista
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
If you use the keyboard with an iPad is it possible to use the the iPad screen and the keyboard with a Raspberry Pi ?
- Asked by Betty S
- Flag as inappropriate (If you use the keyboard with an iPad is it possible to use the the iPad screen and the keyboard with a Raspberry Pi ?)
- Asked about: Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio f…
If I buy these from apple, do I get all the accessories in the box?
- Asked by Nick G from Brisbane
- Flag as inappropriate (If I buy these from apple, do I get all the accessories in the box?)
- Asked about: Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones