Will it hurt my macbook pro if i leave the power supply plugged in to the wall socket and in to my 2011 Macbook Pro at all times (mostly)?
My Macbook Pro stays on my desk for the most part. Will it hurt to leave it plugged in all the time, or should the battery be cycled on a regular basis?
- Asked by Brook F from New Orleans
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it hurt my macbook pro if i leave the power supply plugged in to the wall socket and in to my 2011 Macbook Pro at all times (mostly)?)
1 Answer from the Community
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.
If you don’t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when it’s fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store your notebook and battery at the proper temperature.
- Answered by Gary S from Jacksonville Beach
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does it hurt to leave ipad charging in dock all the time
- Asked by Loretta R from Guelph
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it hurt to leave ipad charging in dock all the time)
- Asked about: Apple iPad Dock
Does this work for MacBook Pro too?
- Asked by Crystal C from Edgar
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work for MacBook Pro too?)
- Asked about: Apple World Travel Adapter Kit
No answers yet