Does the 3 Pin adaptor support grounding Or is it just a dummy ground pin? At the back of the pin in the slider is there a metal connecter?
The power cord I have from apple doesn't have a grounding pin. And I am facing problems with electric current on the body of the Mac.
Would appreciate if someone could check before I purchase it.
- Asked by Keegan P from Mangalore
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the 3 Pin adaptor support grounding Or is it just a dummy ground pin? At the back of the pin in the slider is there a metal connecter?)
2 Answers from the Community
Effectively any 3rd pin on the adaptor is a dummy. If you look at the socket on the USB charger or Laptop mains charger when the adaptor is removed you will see that it is only 2 pin 'figure of 8' socket. This is not a safety problem as the USB and mains chargers are double insulated and the conductors are not visible (or touchable). Electric current on the body of the MAC is likely to be caused by induction rather than conduction.This means that stray electrical currents are developed in the case due to switching voltages inside the laptop much like a step down transformer. This is not unsafe! If the case became really 'live' then it would fry you as well as a lot of the computer components. Most laptops (and I expect Apple is the same) work on a maximum voltage of around 20V which might tingle if you have wet fingers but will not harm you.
- Answered by Roderick P from Solihull
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
All UK plugs are 3 pins. The Grounding/Earthing pin is just for safety.
- Answered by Sahal P
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
iPad 30 pin AV digitall adaptor
- Asked by Pirzada M
- Flag as inappropriate (iPad 30 pin AV digitall adaptor)
- Asked about: iPad
No answers yet
is there an adaptor 8pin female to 30 pin male so that I can buy a new 8pin dock and connect ipod classic
- Asked by Frances M
- Flag as inappropriate (is there an adaptor 8pin female to 30 pin male so that I can buy a new 8pin dock and connect ipod classic)
- Asked about: Lightning to 30-pin Adapter