What would be the noticeable difference between connecting my 24" monitor to my MBP with a Mini DisplayPort->VGA vs. Mini DisplayPort->DVI?
I have always used a DVI cable to connect my computer to my monitor (with a DVI-I connection), but recently updated my MacBook Pro, and have realized that Apple has changed the connection they support. They only make Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D. The Apple genius at the store wasn't able to help me, or explain why they had made the switch. Right now I need to decide which connector to buy, and whether it makes sense to go out of my way to also get new DVI cables for my monitor setup.
- Asked by Matthew S from Decatur
- Flag as inappropriate (What would be the noticeable difference between connecting my 24" monitor to my MBP with a Mini DisplayPort->VGA vs. Mini DisplayPort->DVI?)
2 Answers from the Community
I'd agree with Paul Moore. If you are in any way picky and/or knowledgeable about graphics, you will notice a fairly large difference. To me, the image using the VGA connection looks a little fuzzy, and the colors bleed a little bit. Not horrible, just noticeably better using DVI.
- Answered by Ian P from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I can see a noticeable change in graphics and color,but, I'm a graphic and web designer. It might not make much difference 2 u. I hope this helps.
- Answered by Paul E M from Coventry
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I plug a DVI-VGA adapter to this to plug this to a VGA monitor?
- Asked by Kevin L from Plano
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I plug a DVI-VGA adapter to this to plug this to a VGA monitor?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Better to use this or a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor?
- Asked by Lewis S from Berkeley
- Flag as inappropriate (Better to use this or a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…