is this the correct firewire cable to connect a vintage iMac to a new iMac?
Our 5 year old iMac is dead and we need to transfer some files to our new iMac we know we need a thunderbolt adaptor but were just wondering if this is correct firewire cable.
- Asked by Lisa H
- Flag as inappropriate (is this the correct firewire cable to connect a vintage iMac to a new iMac?)
1 Answer from the Community
It sounds like you are having the same problem as me. I have a new iMac arriving in a couple of days and I'll be upgrading from a 10 year old iMac. My research prior to buying showed me that the new Macs don't have Firewire they only have thunderbolt. I bought the thunderbolt to firewire adaptor but it just arrived and the firewire end is not compatible since the firewire on the Mac is 10 years old. So it appears to me that you and I both will need this firewire adaptor and will then need to plug it into a thunderbolt adaptor which plugs into the new Mac. Lots of luck.
- Answered by Helen M from Joplin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
How do I transfer data from my iMac without thunderbolt (only firewire) to my new Macbook Air with thunderbolt?
- Asked by Arvin V
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I transfer data from my iMac without thunderbolt (only firewire) to my new Macbook Air with thunderbolt?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…
where is the firewire port on the new 2013 21.5" imac's?
- Asked by Daniel G from Brisbane
- Flag as inappropriate (where is the firewire port on the new 2013 21.5" imac's?)
- Asked about: Mac