to use it with windows xp
I would like to clarify wrt:
1. "Easy cross-platform formatting utility", mean to use it with windows xp, do I need to re-formatted with NTFS?
Cause I use both windows and mac, laptop macbook air and desktop windows xp.
2. "Thunderbolt up to 10 Gbit/s", is it the speed equal to 312.5 MB/s?
- Asked by Ardian F from Kuala Lumpur
- Flag as inappropriate (to use it with windows xp)
- Asked about: LaCie 1TB Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.…
1 Answer from the Community
1. Windows XP will not read NTFS unless you install a specific plugin to do this. Also to note for the SSD version of the drive is that Windows XP and the system architecture may not be optimal for SSDs.
2. The transfer rate of Thunderbolt is 10 Gb/s, i.e. approx 10 000 billion bits. There are 8 bit to a byte, so do the math. In this case because the data transfer rate via Thunderbolt is so high the actual read/write speed is limited by the disk technology itself, so ~300 MB/s for the SSD and ~110 MB/s for the HDD. This is super fast. Unless you've been using some very high tech drives recently the performance will not disappoint.
- Answered by Samuel R from Rijswijk
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1