With Apple TV, can I use my tv as a second monitor for my macbook pro?
I often use hdmi cables from my macbook pro to my tv so that I can use the tv as a completely separate, second monitor. Is it possible to do the same using Apple TV?
Basically, I don't want to just mirror my computer screen. I want to be able to have one thing up on the tv while I am working on something else on my laptop.
E.g. I want to have a CAD drawing up on the tv screen while working in excel on my laptop's screen.
- Asked by Jason T from New Orleans
- Flag as inappropriate (With Apple TV, can I use my tv as a second monitor for my macbook pro?)
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, you can use an Apple TV as a second monitor for your MacBook. No cable is needed; the video is streamed wirelessly to the Apple TV. However, you must upgrade to OS X Mavericks (10.9) because previous versions don't support this feature. Also, you need a MacBook Pro from early 2011 or later; older MacBooks don't support this feature either.
- Answered by Julian B from Baie-d'urfe
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
can I use apple tv to connect my tv as a second monitor
- Asked by Michael M from Branchport
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use apple tv to connect my tv as a second monitor)
Does Apple TV tape from television
- Asked by Marieanne C from Melbourne
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Apple TV tape from television)