What is the ethernet port used for on the Apple TV?
- Asked by Jerry C from Bellevue
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the ethernet port used for on the Apple TV?)
3 Answers from the Community
You can use the ethernet port and an ethernet cable instead of WiFi to connect the Apple TV to your home network. You might do this if you live in a neighbourhood with two dozen WiFi networks visible in your home, where getting a WiFi connection is difficult, or if your WiFi router is really old and slow and the ethernet connection is faster. If your WiFi connection works fine, there is no need to use it.
- Answered by Christian B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The Apple TV needs to connect to the internet. You can use a wifi connection or a wired Ethernet connection to connect to your router. The Ethernet port is there if you choose to use a wired connection.
- Answered by Richard M from Ashland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
This port can be optionally used to connect to a router. If you don't have a wireless router, then you must use this port. You might do so anyway if the AppleTV is close enough to the router to connect it directly, or if your home is wired for networking. In most cases this port won't be used because the AppleTV is configured on your Wi-fi network.
- Answered by David Z from Trabuco Canyon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Does Apple TV tape from television
- Asked by Marieanne C from Melbourne
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Apple TV tape from television)
can i use my iPad as a television with my Apple TV?
- Asked by Fran O from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my iPad as a television with my Apple TV?)