what is the difference between generation 1 and 3 apple tv?
- Asked by Steve E from Ann Arbor
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the difference between generation 1 and 3 apple tv?)
3 Answers from the Community
The ATV 2 was 720p only and the ATV3 will play 1080p. The ATV1 had an internal hard drive and the ATV2/3 do not.
- Answered by David C from Weston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The big difference is the gen 1 has a hard drive. You can sync everything you have in iTunes on your computer with the gen 1 (movies, music, tv shows, pod casts, and photos) and store it locally on the ATV. With the gen 3 you have to stream all of your content which means your computer has to be turned on and on the local network. One advantage of the gen 3 is the ability to mirror your macbook or iPad to your tv screen. Nice if you want a bigger screen for Skype or content you have stored on your laptop.
- Answered by Lee K from Kingston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Apple TV (1st generation, MA711LL/A)
Processor: 1.0 GHz Pentium M
RAM: 256 MB
Video Processor: GeForce Go 7300
Storage: 40 GB HDD
OS: OS X 10.4.7
Built in apps: No
USB: One USB 2.0 (standard)
Video Out: HDMI, Component
Audio Out: HDMI, Optical, RCA
Max Resolution: 1280 x 720 @25fps / Anamorphic 1280 x 720 (960 x 720) @30fps
Max AVC profile: Main 3.1
iTunes Extra support: Yes
AirPlay support: No
Size: 7.7” x 7.7” x 1.1”
Casing: Plastic top, Aluminum sides, Rubberized base
Color: White and Silver
Weight: 2.4 lbs.
Price: US$299 (dropped to US$229 Jan 2008)
Power cord color: White
Apple TV (3rd generation, MD199LL/A)
Processor: 1.0 GHz Apple A5
RAM: 512 MB
Video Processor: built into Apple A5
Storage: 8GB Flash
OS: iOS 6.1
Built in apps: Yes
USB: One USB 2 (micro)
Video Out: HDMI
Audio Out: HDMI, Optical
Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @30fps
Max AVC profile: Main 4.1
iTunes Extra support: No
AirPlay support: Yes
Size: 3.9” x 3.9” x 0.9”
Weight: 0.6 lbs.
Power cord color: Black
- Answered by Guy M from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
What's the difference in Apple TV and Apple TV 3rd generation?
- Asked by Rana B from Pryor
- Flag as inappropriate (What's the difference in Apple TV and Apple TV 3rd generation?)
What is the difference between Apple TV versions 1,2 and 3?
- Asked by Gretchen E from Lawrence
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the difference between Apple TV versions 1,2 and 3?)