can apple tv connect wirelessly to a smart tv
- Asked by Anthony C from Spring
- Flag as inappropriate (can apple tv connect wirelessly to a smart tv)
2 Answers from the Community
Apple TV connect only via HDMI cable to a TV
- Answered by Ezio C from Guelph
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No, Apple TV must be connected by HDMI (or component for the 1st generation), with the option of passing audio through an optical audio cable, in order to play anything on the television set.
A `smart TV' is able to connect separately to the internet, and might potentially be able to stream content from computer on the same local network. The Apple TV is a similar device, which can stream content from most newer Apple devices, from iTunes, and from selected 3rd party services, e.g. Netflix, YouTube, etc, but which requires a TV, or screen capable of HDMI input, to output its content.
The advantage of an Apple TV over `smart TVs', is its `tie-in' with iTunes and its general simplicity of operation, as well as its ability to stream from Apple devices, e.g. 2nd gen. iPad onwards.
- Answered by John D
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does Apple TV tape from television
- Asked by Marieanne C from Melbourne
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Apple TV tape from television)
can i use my iPad as a television with my Apple TV?
- Asked by Fran O from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my iPad as a television with my Apple TV?)