G-Technology G-Drive External Hard Drive is a high-performance storage solution featuring ultra-fast Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 interfaces. Housed in a sleek aluminium enclosure, G-DRIVE is perfect for storage-intensive applications like audio and video editing or digital photography. Designed for ease of use, G-DRIVE is ready to run on your Mac and can be easily reformatted for Windows.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 ports for ultimate high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for quiet operation and cooling
- Solid aluminium case makes for a durable and stylish enclosure
- Storage capacity can handle digital video, music and photo files
- Formatted for Mac and easily reformatted for Windows
Did you notice?The hard drive features an integrated heat sink for quiet operation and cooling.
Apple Recommends ForBacking up data from storage-intensive applications at home or in the office.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-Drive 3TB Thunderbolt External Hard Drive
- Universal AC Power Supply
- Thunderbolt cable
- USB cable (3.0/2.0)
- Quick-start guide
- Connections: Thunderbolt, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Height: 4.8 cm/1.89 in.
- Width: 23.5 cm/9.25 in.
- Weight: 1.33 kg
- Length: 13 cm/5.12 in.
- OS 10.7 or later
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 (via reformat)
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487193893
- Note: Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple-branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer — please see your product box and literature for details. Benefits under the manufacturer's warranty are in addition to rights provided by consumer law. For details, click here.
Ratings & Reviews
Way too loud
As it says in the title, way too loud. Great device but unless you don't mind a loud noise, which will drown out your computer, st As it says in the title, way too loud. Great device but unless you don't mind a loud noise, which will drown out your computer, stay way clear. Taking back for a refund. …
- Written by Robert M from London
32 of 33 people found this useful
Just bought one of these and it is driving me mad ! It is a great hard drive in terms of speed etc., but oh the noise. All the tim Just bought one of these and it is driving me mad ! It is a great hard drive in terms of speed etc., but oh the noise. All the time it is in use it makes a loud whooshing sound and never shuts up. In terms of thunderbolt my LaCie usb 3 hard drives are faster. Would get 5 stars if it was not for the noise. …
- Written by Brian M from Ventnor
69 of 71 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Will this work as an iTunes drive on my iMac. It would be on home share also. will it still be ok?
- Asked by Richard T
is this compatible with time machine?
- Asked by Robert P from Middlesbrough
What is the speed of the drive in this product: G-Technology G-Drive 3TB Thunderbolt External Hard Drive?
- Asked by Mark R L
depending upon your system. the drive itself should deliver 160MB/s, maybe a little higher.
- Answered by Mark B from Southampton
Do I understand right that the power supply is another gadget on my desk or is it just a mains to unit cable?
- Asked by Siegfried F from Point Cook
It comes with a power supply transformer; you will have another gadget on your desk.
- Answered by Jean-claude R from Ascot Vale
Am I right in thinking that this drive only has one Thunderbolt, and so cannot be daisy-chained?
- Asked by Andrew W
Correct, this only has one thunderbolt port, so you can not daisy-chain from the product. You can ha Correct, this only has one thunderbolt port, so you can not daisy-chain from the product. You can have it at the end of the chain (e.g. Mac - Thunderbolt Display - G-DRIVE with Thunderbolt). If you want daisy chain capability, you might want to consider the G-DRIVE PRO with Thunderbolt. …
- Answered by Elliot B