The WD My Passport for Mac portable hard drive includes super-fast USB 3.0 connectivity for truly impressive transfer rates. It makes the perfect travel companion for your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.
Ultra-fast transfer rates
When connected to a USB 3.0 port, My Passport for Mac lets you access and save files in blazing speed. Get transfer times up to three times faster than with USB 2.0.*
Sleek, compact design
This compact enclosure offers plenty of storage, making it the ideal companion for the graphic professional, student or road-warrior.
WD Security and WD Drive Utilities
Set password protection and hardware encryption for your drive to protect your files from unauthorised use or access. Register your drive, set drive timer, run diagnostics and more using the WD Drive Utilities.
Formatted for Mac
My Passport for Mac is HFS+ journaled so it works right out of the box with your MacBook. It is also compatible with Time Machine so you can quickly back up your files.
WD quality inside and out
WD builds the drive inside with demanding requirements for durability, shock tolerance and long-term reliability. Then the drive is surrounded with a durable enclosure designed for style and protection.
- Transferring files in blazing-fast speed with USB 3.0
- Connect to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices
- Back up your files with Time Machine
- Secure your files from unauthorised access with password protection and hardware encryption
Did you notice?Connect to a USB 3.0 port and transfer a full-length HD movie in under five minutes.
Apple Recommends ForTaking your photos, movies, videos and documents with you wherever you take your MacBook.
What's in the Box?
- WD My Passport for Mac
- USB cable
- Quick install guide
- Other Features: Data Encryption, Sleep Mode, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 15 mm/0.6 in.
- Width: 110.6 mm/4.35 in.
- Weight: 140 g
- Length: 82.1 mm/3.23 in.
- OS X 10.7 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: WDBLUZ0010BSL-NEAP
- UPC or EAN No.: 718037814346
- Note: Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple-branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer — please see your product box and literature for details. Benefits under the manufacturer's warranty are in addition to rights provided by consumer law. For details, click here.
- * Performance may vary based on your hardware and system configuration.
Ratings & Reviews
Good, reasonably priced hard drive
I bought this hard drive in February 2014, to replace a 500Gb Seagate that was full. Setup of this hard drive was effortless and i I bought this hard drive in February 2014, to replace a 500Gb Seagate that was full. Setup of this hard drive was effortless and it was up and running with Time Machine in a matter of minutes.
In the last 6 months it has performed well without a problem, and I am operating OS X version 10.9.4.
If you are looking for a Mac compatible hard drive, then I can certainly recommend the WD 1Tb My Passport. …
- Written by M P H from Upper Boddington
11 of 11 people found this useful
Poor product; even worse customer service.
Purchased in Nov 2013 specifically because it appeared to be tailor-made for Mac, but it fails to mount following upgrade to OSX 1 Purchased in Nov 2013 specifically because it appeared to be tailor-made for Mac, but it fails to mount following upgrade to OSX 10.9.4. No response from WD Customer Support, despite this appearing to be a widespread recwnt issue. Avoid this product. …
- Written by MARK W from London
24 of 26 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
I need to back my 2007 imac so I can update the software can I use passport to do this?
- Asked by Julie C
You should have no problem with this hard drive as your Time Machine back up. Click on the Apple ico You should have no problem with this hard drive as your Time Machine back up. Click on the Apple icon at the top left of your Desktop toolbar, then click System Preferences, then System, and finally Time Machine. Follow the instructions given and your computer should start backing up all your files to the WD Passport. IMHO, these are good little drives. …
- Answered by Lisa D. W from Florence
can passport be used for more than one machine
- Asked by Philip F
Yes, it can – as can any external drive providing there is sufficient capacity to hold all the data Yes, it can – as can any external drive providing there is sufficient capacity to hold all the data and accumulate Time Machine history. As a 'rule of thumb', buy a size that is at least twice the capacity of the dataset you are seeking to back up. Example: if the combined data on the Macs is 500Gb, buy at least a 1 terabyte drive, @m4mac …
- Answered by David E
What is the spin speed of this hard drive? 5400 or 7200rpm?
- Asked by Katy-robin G from Missoula
will it connect to a macbook pro.
- Asked by Joyce M
Yes, it will work with USB 2.0 on your Macbook Pro
- Answered by Francis D from Raleigh
does this come formatted for the mac?
- Asked by Joanne D from Glen Rock
Yes, Simply plug and play. Or store in this case.
- Answered by Gareth K
Is this device thunderbolt compatible?
- Asked by Soo F from Laguna Beach