With both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt interfaces, the LaCie d2 is a perfect match for your Mac. And because USB 3.0 is backwards compatible, you can connect it to any standard computer.
Get lightning-fast transfer speeds thanks to the USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt ports. With performance up to 180 MB/s* – twice as fast as FireWire 800 and more than four times as fast as USB 2.0. Back up and transfer mountains of data in a fraction of the time. Enjoy more responsive photo library browsing. Save time and get better performance when using A/V editing tools.
Advanced cooling for long-term reliability
The solid aluminium casing provides 60% more surface area than flat designs, diverting and dissipating heat more efficiently. Its innovative design means it stays cool without requiring a noise-producing fan. This efficient and silent cooling system is perfect for even the most noise-sensitive creative environments.
Designed for convenience
With its space-saving form, you can stand the LaCie d2 drive alone vertically, stack multiple products horizontally or install it in a 19-inch rack with a kit from LaCie. It also features email alerts, so you can monitor your device before potential problems escalate.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- Universal connectivity with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0
- Amazing speeds up to 180 MB/s*
- Time Machine compatible
- Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac included
- Data security with encryption
- Easy cross-platform formatting utility
- Professional grade 7200 rpm hard drive
Did you notice?For maximum convenience, Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 cables come with the drive.
Apple Recommends ForKeeping your valuable data safe wherever you travel – no matter how difficult the conditions.
What's in the Box?
- LaCie d2 USB 3.0/Thunderbolt Series Hard Drive
- USB 3.0 cable (USB 2.0 compatible)
- Thunderbolt cable
- Drive stand for upright use; rubber feet for horizontal use
- External power supply
- QIG and Complete Software Suite: LaCie Setup Assistant, LaCie Private-Public, Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac, Genie Backup Manager Pro for PC, Wuala Secure Cloud Storage
- Other Features: Data Encryption, Kensington Port, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 183 mm/7.2 in.
- Width: 60 mm/2.3 in.
- Weight: 1.7 kg
- Length: 168 mm/6.6 in.
- OS X 10.5 or later (10.5 – Intel Only)
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8
- Mfr. Part Number: 9000353
- UPC or EAN No.: 093053006051
- Note: Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple-branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer — please see your product box and literature for details. Benefits under the manufacturer's warranty are in addition to rights provided by consumer law. For details, click here.
- *Maximum interface transfer rate = theoretical bus bandwidth, whereas burst transfer rate = maximum drive speed. Tests conducted with a 3TB hard disk. Average transfer rates vary from one computer to another and from one drive to another.
Ratings & Reviews
First impression - Great!!!
Great drive!! Quick and Easy setup using pre-installed software.
BOTH! USB 3.0 AND Thunderbolt cables included (although for this Great drive!! Quick and Easy setup using pre-installed software.
BOTH! USB 3.0 AND Thunderbolt cables included (although for this price i'd have expected nothing less) thunderbolt cable only 1M so you may need to invest in a longer one if your setup is awkward like mine. you can even assign a portion of the drive if using it with windows and mac! This option was ideal as i am using it for the whole family and we have mac and windows systems. Overall first impression good and would buy LaCie products in the future. …
- Written by David A from SUTTON COLDFIELD
39 of 39 people found this useful
Great drive - shame there's only 1 Thunderbolt port
I'm using this drive for Time Machine and it's blisteringly fast, even using USB 3.0. The only regret is that it only has one Thun I'm using this drive for Time Machine and it's blisteringly fast, even using USB 3.0. The only regret is that it only has one Thunderbolt port, meaning I can't daisy-chain it with my monitor :( …
- Written by Roger S from SEVENOAKS
35 of 35 people found this useful
This is an nice hard drive. It operates quietly and doesn't take up much space on my desk. It's fast, and runs relatively cool. I This is an nice hard drive. It operates quietly and doesn't take up much space on my desk. It's fast, and runs relatively cool. It's 3TB, which is way more than what I really need today. Overall, I'm pleased with this drive. It does what I want and does it well. …
- Written by Lane L
34 of 35 people found this useful
LaCie 2d USB3 Thunderbolt
Just purchased this from Apple Gateshead. Ultra fast blistering speed, having used my old Seagate Go-flex on usb2. I was consideri Just purchased this from Apple Gateshead. Ultra fast blistering speed, having used my old Seagate Go-flex on usb2. I was considering Firewire adapter but so pleased I made the jump to Thunderbolt. I shoot massive amounts of RAW files on a full frame camera, Minimum 16GB per shoot.
It used to take an age to move files from Mac to Disc but not now. Simple to install and it comes with Thunderbolt cable along with High-speed USB3 cable, unlike many competitors.
If its speed you want, its speed you will get. Its silent and looks cool next to my Mac. …
- Written by David S from Newton Aycliffe
1 of 1 people found this useful
Works and looks great
Before the d2 arrived on my desk, you could hear a pin drop in my office. After it arrived, nothing changed. That made me very hap Before the d2 arrived on my desk, you could hear a pin drop in my office. After it arrived, nothing changed. That made me very happy because noise is, in my view, the enemy of creativity, which is my stock in trade. That said, I'm an admirer of the creativity it took to design this fanless wonder. So much performance and so well designed! …
- Written by Colb G
1 of 1 people found this useful
No trouble at all
I was looking for a reliable workhorse drive that would not overheat and could handle a large workload every day of the week. It a I was looking for a reliable workhorse drive that would not overheat and could handle a large workload every day of the week. It also had to be fast, and I mean it - FAST! This d2 drive fit the bill perfectly. The enclosure design is very clever, it keeps the heat and the noise under control. So far I have had no trouble with this hard drive. It does what I need it to and it works just fine with my iMac. …
- Written by Olive H
3 of 3 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can I daisy chain this drive with a LaCie d2 Quadra 3TB (FireWire, USB3.0, 7.200RPM) on the USB3.0 ports?
- Asked by Ricardo G from Belo Horizonte
will this drive work with maverick
- Asked by Patrick C J from Hacksneck
Yes, it works.
Maverick=10.9.1=my machine, 2.53 GHz Core i5, 4 GB DDR3, MacBook Pro, 2010
- Answered by Frank R from Mooresville
I have the below system, will this item be compatible?
- Asked by Aimee W from Kenwood
Your iMac has USB2 ports. It does not have USB3 nor thunderbolt. If you purchase this product even t Your iMac has USB2 ports. It does not have USB3 nor thunderbolt. If you purchase this product even though I believe its a great product you'd be wasting your money. You'll never achieve realistic performance out of it. Your best choice is to purchase a firewire 800 product. In todays world firewire 800 is too darn slow.
Bottom line buy a guad core iMac and get in the modern world or be satisfied with what you currently use. …
- Answered by Don H from Woodhaven
Can I put my iTunes Library on this drive and use Apple TV to read off it with decent speed?
- Asked by Kris W from Bountiful
Yes! For music USB 2.0 is adequate even for Apple Lossless files. Thunderbolt 1 would be more than Yes! For music USB 2.0 is adequate even for Apple Lossless files. Thunderbolt 1 would be more than adequate. …
- Answered by Arthur Roger G from Morristown