The G-Technology G-DRIVE hard drive is a superb choice for projects like digital photography, audio/video editing and high-speed data backup that involve huge amounts of data. That's because its USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces can handle enormous traffic volumes. Plus it's plug and play on Mac OSX and ready to use with Time Machine. And G-DRIVE remains cool and quiet thanks to an all-aluminium enclosure with an integrated heat-sink system.
- USB 3.0 and FireWire ports for flexible, high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- Solid all-aluminium case makes for durability and stylish looks
- Plenty of storage for digital video, music, and photo files
- Includes all cables
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS
- Mac OS X and Windows compatible
- Three-year factory warranty
Did you notice?The sleek aluminium enclosure delivers the best in reliability and durability.
Apple Recommends ForA perfect companion for your Mac and all your demanding applications.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive
- Universal AC power supply
- FireWire 800 cables; FireWire 800 to 400 cable
- USB 3.0 cable (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Other Features: Kensington Port, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Firewire 400, Firewire 800, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 47 mm/1.85 in.
- Width: 130 mm/5.125 in.
- Weight: 1300 g
- Length: 235 mm/9.25 in.
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- OS X 10.5 or later
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487191110
- Note: Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple-branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer — please see your product box and literature for details. Benefits under the manufacturer's warranty are in addition to rights provided by consumer law. For details, click here.
Ratings & Reviews
Switches itself on & off all the time
Looks good and appears well made but like others who have reviewed the 2 & 4TB versions it is a little noisy for a modern drive an Looks good and appears well made but like others who have reviewed the 2 & 4TB versions it is a little noisy for a modern drive and I don't understand why it has such a bright light at the front. However these two niggles don't bother me that much but the drive constantly switching itself on and off does. I have set my drives in preferences not to sleep for one hour but this drive has a mind of its own and does what it likes. The G-Drive help line wasn't that helpful and could only suggest in Spotlight I add it to the Privacy tab to prevent Spotlight from searching it - hasn't helped. Other than this it is fast and works fine but I'm concerned how long it will last if it continues to switch itself on and off. If G-Drive can't cure this I won't buy another.
I use the drive connected to a Mac Mini 2012 OS-X Mountain Lion with 2 SSD via the Firewire port. …
- Written by David K from Warminster
13 of 15 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect an If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect and use the drive from another iMac. You can't typically access the same files simultaneously e.g. iPhoto. …
- Answered by Gerald B from Lower Sackville
is this drive compatible with mavericks operating system
- Asked by Greg W from Bainbridge Island
It works fine with my system!
- Answered by Neil W
it has to be connected to power outlet all time
- Asked by Amr E from Cairo
If you are asking if it needs to be connected to a mains power outlet in order to use it, the answer If you are asking if it needs to be connected to a mains power outlet in order to use it, the answer is Yes it does. …
- Answered by D J C
I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library
- Asked by Christopher B
I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. I I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. It works fine but occasionally there is a slight delay when using iTunes as the external drive spins up. …
- Answered by Gavin M
Is this a wireless hard drive
- Asked by Adam J from Adelaide
No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. And of course if it's part of a local network. …
- Answered by Fernando E from Caracas
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Ge Hi Dudley,
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Gen 4 had a USB 2.0 connection.
Unfortunately the G-Technology G-DRIVE does not have 'hardware encryption', but they are great drives.
I hope this helps. …
- Answered by Adrian C from Santa Ana