The G-Technology G-DRIVE hard drive is a superb choice for projects like digital photography, audio/video editing and high-speed data backup that involve huge amounts of data. That's because its USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces can handle enormous traffic volumes. Plus it's plug and play on Mac OSX and ready to use with Time Machine. And G-DRIVE remains cool and quiet thanks to an all-aluminium enclosure with an integrated heat-sink system.
- USB 3.0 and FireWire ports for flexible, high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- Solid all-aluminium case makes for durability and stylish looks
- Plenty of storage for digital video, music, and photo files
- Includes all cables
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS
- Mac OS X and Windows compatible
- Three-year factory warranty
Did you notice?The sleek aluminium enclosure delivers the best in reliability and durability.
Apple Recommends ForA perfect companion for your Mac and all your demanding applications.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive
- Universal AC power supply
- FireWire 800 cables; FireWire 800 to 400 cable
- USB 3.0 cable (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Other Features: Kensington Port,Time Machine Compatible
- Connections: Firewire 400,Firewire 800,USB 2.0,USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 47 mm/1.85 in.
- Width: 130 mm/5.125 in.
- Weight: 1300 g
- Length: 235 mm/9.25 in.
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- OS X 10.5 or later
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487191110
Ratings & Reviews
Switches itself on & off all the time
Looks good and appears well made but like others who have reviewed the 2 & 4TB versions it is a little noisy for a modern drive an Looks good and appears well made but like others who have reviewed the 2 & 4TB versions it is a little noisy for a modern drive and I don't understand why it has such a bright light at the front. However these two niggles don't bother me that much but the drive constantly switching itself on and off does. I have set my drives in preferences not to sleep for one hour but this drive has a mind of its own and does what it likes. The G-Drive help line wasn't that helpful and could only suggest in Spotlight I add it to the Privacy tab to prevent Spotlight from searching it - hasn't helped. Other than this it is fast and works fine but I'm concerned how long it will last if it continues to switch itself on and off. If G-Drive can't cure this I won't buy another.
I use the drive connected to a Mac Mini 2012 OS-X Mountain Lion with 2 SSD via the Firewire port. …
- Written by David K from Warminster
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can I use the G-Technology 3TB G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive with my iMac AND my MacBookPro?
- Asked by David R from Rugeley
No answers yet
If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect an If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect and use the drive from another iMac. You can't typically access the same files simultaneously e.g. iPhoto. …
- Answered by Gerald B from Lower Sackville
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Ge Hi Dudley,
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Gen 4 had a USB 2.0 connection.
Unfortunately the G-Technology G-DRIVE does not have 'hardware encryption', but they are great drives.
I hope this helps. …
- Answered by Adrian C from Santa Ana
Will the hard drive work with my mac book pro if i plug it into my airport extreme?
- Asked by Louis N
what speed is the hard drive. 720rps? I want to use it to cut HD footage on FCP7. will it cope?
- Asked by Samuel S
According to the manufacturer's website, it is a 7,200 rpm drive.
- Answered by Mark W from Lake Forest