Speck cases are super-thin and light to maintain the sleek profile of your MacBook Pro. At just 1.5 mm the durable hard shell protects your MacBook from scuffs and scratches. The matte case comes in two pieces which are easy to snap on and snap off, so you can protect your MacBook on the go. Anti-tilt rubberised feet keep your MacBook stable and secure on hard surfaces.
- Ultra-thin shell at just 1.5 mm
- Durable plastic protects from scratches and scuffs
- Smooth matte two-piece design easily snaps on and off
- Anti-tilt rubberised feet keep your notebook stable and secure
Did you notice?Rubber feet provide added stability and protection for your MacBook.
Apple Recommends ForProtecting your MacBook in matte style.
What's in the Box?
- Speck SmartShell Satin Case
- Form Factor: Hard Case, Snap On
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Mfr. Part Number: SPK-A2396
- UPC or EAN No.: 848709005243
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Speck recommends cleaning your case before you put it on your MacBook and then once a month thereafter to avoid any build-up of dust or dirt. Simply wipe it with a soft, clean cloth or rinse with warm, soapy water. Before re-applying the case, make sure it’s completely dry and wipe down your Mac to remove any dust or particles.
Ratings & Reviews
Rear bottom tabs break
I've bought 2 of these cases and both broke at the same area where the bottom cover attaches to the rear sides. The case lasted ab I've bought 2 of these cases and both broke at the same area where the bottom cover attaches to the rear sides. The case lasted about 5 weeks each time. Bummer. The look and feel of the case are as expected …
- Written by MICHAEL W from SUMMERVILLE
92 of 96 people found this useful
get this if you want your mac to be utterly damaged and scratched on areas where the case hooks on to your machine. The snapping o get this if you want your mac to be utterly damaged and scratched on areas where the case hooks on to your machine. The snapping on of the case scratched my MBP and left white marks which caused my resale value to drop by nearly 50%. If you're someone who protects your product, please do not buy any casing that snaps onto your machine. It kills it. …
- Written by Bowie L
87 of 98 people found this useful
Not as good as previous Speck cases
I have used numerous Speck cases over the years and this is the worst one yet. The last case kept going strong for 3+ years, but t I have used numerous Speck cases over the years and this is the worst one yet. The last case kept going strong for 3+ years, but there is serious quality problems with this one. Like the other reviewer, I too had the rear bottom tab (just next to the right hand USB port) snap. Speck needs to really take a step back and assess these quality problems, because other than the tab snapping right off, the case does not fit as snug as models they have made before. I will be returning this and getting a different case or waiting until someone makes a really good one. …
- Written by Spencer W from Vancouver
66 of 68 people found this useful
I've found the Smartshell to be really good!
I've been using the Smartshell for a few months now and have found it to be really good, no problems with the initial fit or subse I've been using the Smartshell for a few months now and have found it to be really good, no problems with the initial fit or subsequent fittings after cleaning. I use my laptop regularly on the train and I've had loads of positive comments from fellow passengers along with clients who've seen it. When I remove it my Macbook is as good as new. …
- Written by Stuart R from Kenilworth
Bottom right back corner of the case cracked (fell) off within a month. My MacBook sits in one place on my desk with the only mov Bottom right back corner of the case cracked (fell) off within a month. My MacBook sits in one place on my desk with the only movement is limited to opening and closing the computer screen. Very low quality. …
- Written by MILTON N from Fort Worth
Broken tabs and chips...just awful.
I have had this case for over a year and use it for occasional travel. Over time it seems as if the case dries out and becomes br I have had this case for over a year and use it for occasional travel. Over time it seems as if the case dries out and becomes brittle. All the corners are broken and now the edges of the lid are chipping away.
I have had a bad experience with speck case products across all apple devices. I would never buy their product again. …
- Written by PJ S from Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Does this also fit a mac book pro 13 inch retina display
- Asked by Vikram A from Dubai
- Dec 2, 2012
It wont. The retina display is much thinner than the normal MacBook Pro.
- Answered by Mireya R from Denver
- Feb 5, 2013
Will this fit an older 15" MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Denise S from San Angelo
- Jan 1, 2013
Will this fit the latest 13" retina display macbook pro, the one with the haswell chip?
- Asked by Jake J
- Nov 12, 2013
Yes. I just picked one up and it snapped right on. The lid portion fits a lot more snug than the bot Yes. I just picked one up and it snapped right on. The lid portion fits a lot more snug than the bottom. I haven't seen one on the older model but I may return it because its bugging me to have a slight creaking sound when I pick it up with one hand (when open) and I feel it slightly moving/detaching. It might be a good idea to keep it for the long term protection but the slight weight increase is noticeable when the Pros are so light now days. All that said, I can't imagine another brand would be better at this issue, it seems to be a function of this type of cover. …
- Answered by Chris H from Lehi
- Nov 13, 2013
How durable is this case?
- Asked by Joshua A from Miramar
- Jul 7, 2013
After a few months of owning this case, and one test drop, I have come to the conclusion that this i After a few months of owning this case, and one test drop, I have come to the conclusion that this is NOT a durable case. I took it off for cleaning my mac, and guess what? The plastic buds that hold the case onto the mac snaps, and falls off. All corners! The middle of the case has a huge crack. The case makes the mac super heavy. And when I took it off, there was too much dust, literally stuck to the Mac. And also, this case makes the Mac overheat countlessly whenever I hold it on my lap. It is blisteringly hot to the touch. As soon as I took the case off, my battery performed normally, No more warnings about the battery overheating. Do NOT get this product! …
- Answered by Thomas D from Preston
- Jul 21, 2013
can you see the apple logo glowing well inside of the case or is it a dim light? If so, what color is the apple logo with the case on it?
- Asked by Joshua A from Miramar
- Jul 7, 2013
Yes you can see the logo, it is of medium brightness and its an off white colour
- Answered by Lauren K from Gowanstown
- Jul 11, 2013