Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
573 Questions from the Community
Can I use an AirPort Express to extend my existing wifi signal?
- Asked by Jason K from New Canaan
- 06 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use an AirPort Express to extend my existing wifi signal?)
Yes. It doesn't matter what brand your existing wifi router is, the AirPort Express setup will walk you through the steps to use the same name/password/security level of your existing wifi network. I just did this using an existing D-Link wifi router and a new Airport Express. Works great! Have it set up near my A/V receiver to use AirPlay and the boosted wifi signal in that side of the house is gravy.
- Answered by Charles S from Walnut Creek
- 07 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use an AirPort Express to extend my existing wifi signal?)
If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?
I'm moving, and will be getting a Comcast modem/router combo for cable and internet. Can my Mac be set up wi-fi without connecting it to an ethernet cable?
- Asked by Denise W from Roseville
- 08 26, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?)
Currently, I have this setup.
Comcast modem/router combo -> ethernet (could be wireless if you wanted it that way) - > airport express.
This gives you wireless through the airport express.
Also, you could just plug the express into a wall on the opposite side of the house and tell it to extend (or join) an existing network.
Whatever your end goal is.
- Answered by Kyle B from Knoxville
- 09 4, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?)
This Airport Express is NOT a modem. Whomever you have as your ISP (Internet Service Provider) has probably given you a modem or a modem/router combo. This Airport Express can create a network for you, join an existing network, or extend a network to a lower-signal part of your house. However, it cannot act as a modem (meaning it cannot be hooked up to a phone line to decrypt your ISP's signal). Your chain will look something like these two:
Modem -> ethernet cord -> Airport Express (creating network)
Modem/router (creating network) -> ethernet cord or wireless -> Airport Express (Joining or extending network)
Now, if you mean to ask, "Can my game system hook up to this Airport Express?", the answer is yes. It will hook up to this via wireless (should the Airport Express be extending network or creating network) or via ethernet (should the Airport Express be joining network).
- Answered by Kyle B from Knoxville
- 09 4, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will the express work without a personal router or can i use my game system as one)
print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?
Can I connect 2 different printers, one into USB and the other through Ethernet cable and be able to print to both? AND can I use this to extend my current wireless network so the printers can connect wirelessly instead of long cables?
- Asked by Robert H from Elk Grove
- 08 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
first of all you need to consider 2 things, one if you are using a pc or a mac. if you are using a pc you have to download 2 programs form the apple web site: the first one called: bonjour for windows and the other one called: airport utility for windows, just make sure you're using the latest versions.
airport utility is used to config the settings in your airport express, the latter program is going to be used to discover and config the printer in your windows system.
on the other hand macs are a totally different world, you don't have to install any of those programs because both applications are already in the OS. there are plenty of tutorials on the web that can give you a very clear and detailed idea on how you can install a printer and set your airport express in a windows system.
thirdly, you have to install the second printer, so as to do this you need to check if your printer has got an internal Lan card or it doesn't have any. if your printer does have one, just connect the printer into the lan port of your airport express, read the instructions that comes with the printer or visit the manufacture's web site for further details on this topic.
but if your printer does not have any internal lan card, don't worry about that just plug in the printer to the USB port in your airport extreme then use the bonjour utility to discover the device and then installed it in your windows pc.
To install a printer on a mac just go to system preferences, then make click on the icon named print and scan, there are plenty of info on the web about this. I hope this can give you an idea.
- Answered by Charles I from Lake Hopatcong
- 08 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
Can I use Airport Express to simultaneoulsy streatm music and extend my wi-fi network?
I want to extend my wi-fi network but I would also like to stream music. Will the Express serve both needs simultaneously?
- Asked by Dustin H from Bethesda
- 08 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Express to simultaneoulsy streatm music and extend my wi-fi network?)
Yes. The Airport Express will stream music whilst extending your wi-fi network.
- Answered by William B
- 08 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use Airport Express to simultaneoulsy streatm music and extend my wi-fi network?)
Can the AirPort Express boost my wii fi network speed that I'm getting through Dish satellite?
I get the worlds slowest internet with Dish despite what they claim, would the AirPort Express be able to boost that speed for my devices i.e. streaming Netflix, download speeds etc...
- Asked by Denise L from Earleville
- 09 9, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the AirPort Express boost my wii fi network speed that I'm getting through Dish satellite?)
Can I use the AirPort Express connected to my modem wirelessly (wifi) and have internet access? Or does it needs to be connected with a cable?
No answers yet
Can I watch video from my Macbook on Apple TV?
- Asked by David M from Evanston
- 07 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I watch video from my Macbook on Apple TV?)
Yeh, when the Apple TV is on the same network and Mac is on the same network there will be an apple airplay option that will allow you to do it.
- Answered by Katie-rose S
- 08 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I watch video from my Macbook on Apple TV?)
As long as the network connection is good enough, airport express will even stream in Apple lossless format. There's no degredation in the file when streamed.
- Answered by Don M from La Grange
- 04 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have a fairly hi end stereo system ;will sound "quality" thru airport express to my system be degraded ?)
When used as a range extender, does this unit carry the same bandwidth of your wireless network? Any noticable downshift in your download speeds?
No answers yet
Can I use it as a ethernet repeater for my airport extreme?
- Asked by Paulo Roberto G from Itu
- 07 30, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use it as a ethernet repeater for my airport extreme?)
difference between airport extreme and airport express
- Asked by Barry G from Newport Beach
- 08 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (difference between airport extreme and airport express)
how to connect to amp with rca inputs audio connections to amp seems i need the headphone jack to rca but can i also use the usb or eithernet
would using the eithernet or usb be a better audio option to use iphone etc and play thru my current amplifier?
Yes but in a convoluted fashion.
The iPhone and iPad will do Screen Mirroring to the Apple TV which forwards the signal to your TV. The Amazon Prime app for iDevices will view the Amazon supplied video. A friend comes over and does this through our Apple TV. If you do it enough, you'll become proficient at it.
We have a Roku device and usually don't need to mirror from our iPads. Apple and Amazon sell special cable/connectorss to connect the iDevice directly to the TV itself (cables with S-video, HDMI connectors).
All of these choices work well.
- Answered by Williammichael H from Knoxville
- 07 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Amazon Prime)
Can Airport Express be wired with Cat5 to my primary unit?
- Asked by Peter S from Brunswick
- 08 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Airport Express be wired with Cat5 to my primary unit?)
I do not have internet modem, I could use the AirPort Express as internet modem? and would have to pay per month?
I don't have internet connection on my home, I can use the AirPort Express to have internet connection? And I should pay per month?
- Asked by Benjamin L from Fort Worth
- 08 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I do not have internet modem, I could use the AirPort Express as internet modem? and would have to pay per month?)
Would this be the only router that I would need???
I this a Router?
- Asked by John D from Kenai
- 08 10, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Would this be the only router that I would need???)