AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler for Mac
Product No Longer Available
I want to connect mac to wireless in house, weak signal, what do we need to enhance the reception so as strong
- Asked by Marcia H from Delta
- 11 4, 09
3 Answers from the Community
If a Mac is already receiving a wireless signal, this enabler software will not strengthen either the signal or the reception. It is intended only for a relatively small number of older Intel-based processor Macs. No pre-Intel Mac, and no PowerPC processor Mac, can benefit from this.
To enhance a weak signal:
1. if possible, boost the transmit power and reduce the multi-cast rate by adjusting the software settings of the transmitter
2. since many various factors may be involved, try changing the channel being used by the transmitter until you find one that works better
3. reduce or eliminate sources of broadcast interference on the channel being used by the transmitter
4. transmit on a different frequency by replacing a wireless "g" router with an "n" router
To improve reception:
1. move your computer or device closer to the transmitter
2. reduce or eliminate physical barriers between the transmitter and your computer
3. turn off nearby devices or electrical equipment, or use your computer at a better time when other equipment is not being used
4. use an antenna, if possible
- Answered by Andrew H from Carmel
- 01 24, 10
The above answer is very good, but doesn't address one situation where this could improve signal quality.
If you have an Airport Extreme N capable router, and it's broadcasting in all bands and your Mac portable/iMac is receiving G band:
You install this software, now the computers can receive the N band, which has significantly greater range than G. If all devices on the network can receive the N band you should set the router to N band only (don't forget this part when your friends come over with their Win 7 phones and can't connect!).
- Answered by Robert J from Austin
- 03 23, 11
Airport Express - or another wireless router.
- Answered by Thomas W from Vegarshei
- 11 8, 09