Does the retina display mac have a disc drive already installed or do I have to buy a Super Drive to play discs?
- Asked by Nicole J from Adelaide
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the retina display mac have a disc drive already installed or do I have to buy a Super Drive to play discs?)
9 Answers from the Community
The retina display mac does NOT have a Super Drive built-in. You can either share a drive from an existing iMac or you will need a USB Super Drive to play discs.
- Answered by Richard P from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The new MacBook Pro Retina display does not have a built in super drive; therefore, you would need to purchase one unless you will only need to use DVD/CD when you are near another computer with a super drive. If this is the case then you can access your DVD/CD wirelessly. I recommend the super drive though, it has worked great for me.
- Answered by Mark G from Mobile
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
The MacBook Pro with Retina Display does not have an optical drive. So if you need to play discs you will need to get the Super Drive.
- Answered by Sebastian J from Milford
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
A MacBook Pro with retina display does not have a disk drive you must buy the super drive.
- Answered by Julie H from Atlanta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Currently only the MacBook Pro & MacPro currently have an internal DVD/CD read/write drive. iMac or MacBook Air do not currently come with a CD/DVD reader/writer. I would not suggest this drive, however, mine died within 4 months and under very limited use (I only watched maybe 2 movies and burned less than 6 discs before it stopped working all together)
- Answered by James T from Oakland Park
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
No, unfortunately it does not have a disc drive installed.
- Answered by Andy V from Kentwood
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
no the macbook with retina display doesent have one thats what makes it thin and lighter
- Answered by Sheron M
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 7
No it dosent because they are trying to make it weigh less and because it has a lot of ports on the side.
- Answered by Mason D from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 8
I have the 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display and it does not have a disc drive. I had to purchase the USB Superdrive and I absolutely love it. It's worth the money without a doubt.
- Answered by Ejustis L from Lake Lure
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 9
I have a macbook pro and I just replaced a dead hard drive. I have no original discs, can I still buy Snow Leopard and perform a fresh install?
- Asked by Cesar F from Downey
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a macbook pro and I just replaced a dead hard drive. I have no original discs, can I still buy Snow Leopard and perform a fresh install?)
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard