will this travel kit work in Jerusalem and Egypt ?
- Asked by Aamina A from Marina Del Rey
- Flag as inappropriate (will this travel kit work in Jerusalem and Egypt ?)
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, it should work in both places.
You would use the continental European pins in both.
Egypt uses mostly standard EU style CEE 7/4 and CEE 7/5 (and some old non-grounded) sockets.
Israel uses its own design of sockets which will usually accept CEE 7/16 (the flat continental European low power 2.5amp plugs used in this kit).
Both countries use 220-230V 50Hz (same as Europe) too.
Just as a note for Europe
In Europe, the vast majority of countries use the CEE 7 family of plugs and sockets. These use two pin plugs and recessed sockets. There are two variations : CEE 7/4 (originated in Germany) uses scraping ground contacts at the top and bottom of the plug and CEE 7/5 (originated in France) uses a pin that sticks out of the socket which connects with a hole in the face of the plug. All modern European CEE 7/7 (16 amp grounded) and 7/16 (low power up to 2.5amp non-grounded) and 7/17 (16 amp non-grounded) fit both of these socket types perfectly.
However, Italy, Denmark and Switzerland use the same 2-pin system for live and neutral but developed their own incompatible grounding systems that use a 3rd pin. So, the 2.5amp flat non-grounded plug found on small appliances also works in those countries, but large 16amp and grounded European plugs do not necessarily work or may not connect the ground and should not be used there.
The UK, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta use a totally different system called BS1363 which has 3 rectangular pins and a fused plug.
However, *ALL* EU countries use exactly the same voltage and frequency : 230V 50Hz. So, everything is 100% electrically compatible and the same safety standards apply in all countries (CENELEC/CEN standards and the CE safety approval system).
So, really it's not as complicated as people make out in Europe, other than slightly different outlets in some countries (and totally different in Britain and Ireland)
- Answered by David K
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I'm travelling to Russia. What type of adapter do I need to charge my iPad and iPhone?
- Asked by Nancy T from Lakewood
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm travelling to Russia. What type of adapter do I need to charge my iPad and iPhone?)
- Asked about: iPhone
Does the IPad Camera Connection kit work with the IPhone? Can I travel without a computer and transfer photos from my SLR to my IPhone?
- Asked by Paula E
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the IPad Camera Connection kit work with the IPhone? Can I travel without a computer and transfer photos from my SLR to my IPhone?)
- Asked about: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
Which Apple TV model number works in Egypt?
- Asked by Aly K from Cairo
- Flag as inappropriate (Which Apple TV model number works in Egypt?)
- Asked about: Apple TV
No answers yet