I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library
I am about to purchase a Mac Mini which I intend to use as a home server. My iTunes library is currently just shy of 3TB (includes Movies & TV Shows) so I will need to connect an external drive which iTunes will point at.
Ideally I would like to leave the Mac Mini and external hard drive on all the time and for them to wake when required to avoid wear on the hard disk.
I know that this should be very straight forward but I have read that there are some issues with Mountain Lion whereby external drives are ejected when the machine wakes from sleep.
I will be using iTunes with Home Sharing enabled so that any member of my family can access the library from their iPad or the Apple TV we have in the living room.
Does my proposed set up sound correct and will there be any issues I should consider?
- Asked by Christopher B
- Flag as inappropriate (I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library)
2 Answers from the Community
I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. It works fine but occasionally there is a slight delay when using iTunes as the external drive spins up.
- Answered by Gavin M
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have this drive for my i tunes only and it works excellent!!!
- Answered by Neil W
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
External Thunderbolt drive to older Firewire Mac adaptor???
- Asked by Tom W from Salt Lake City
- Flag as inappropriate (External Thunderbolt drive to older Firewire Mac adaptor???)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…
what can i use to move my big itunes library onto a drive of some sort
- Asked by Scott M from Falls Church
- Flag as inappropriate (what can i use to move my big itunes library onto a drive of some sort)
- Asked about: Mac