Transfer video from a VCR, DVR, set-top box, camcorder or any other analogue video source to your Mac as an iTunes-ready file. The easy-to-use software guides you through each step, from connecting an analogue video source, to capturing video and choosing how you will watch and share it.
Simple one-click functions
One simple click adds your captured video to iTunes to sync with your iPod, iPhone and Apple TV. Edit your video right away in iMovie or play it in QuickTime and upload it directly to YouTube.
Connect any analogue video device to your Mac
Elgato Video Capture features composite and S-Video inputs allowing you to connect any analogue video device to your Mac, and it comes with a SCART adapter.
High-quality video capture for all regions
Elgato Video Capture handles NTSC, SECAM, PAL, and PAL/60 video and records in iTunes-ready, high quality H.264 or MPEG-4 files. Select between 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratios to match the source video for optimal playback quality.
- Transfer video from a VCR, DVR, camcorder or any other analog video source to your Mac
- One-click export to iTunes, QuickTime and iMovie
- Direct upload to YouTube
- Features Composite and S-Video inputs
- Captures NTSC, PAL and SECAM
- Records in iTunes-ready high quality H.264 or MPEG-4 files
- Selectable 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratios to match the source video
- Handy tool to trim the beginning and end of the captured video file
- Comes with Composite-to-SCART adaptor and Composite video/RCA stereo cable
Did you notice?After capturing you can edit your video right away in iMovie.
Apple Recommends ForCapturing video from analogue sources such as a VCR or camcorder so that you can edit and play the video on your Mac, iPod, iPhone and Apple TV.
What's in the Box?
- Elgato Video Capture hardware
- Elgato Video Capture software (CD-ROM)
- Proof of purchase key
- Composite-to-SCART adaptor
- Composite video/RCA stereo cable
- Connections : USB 2,RCA Plug,S-Video,Composite
- Height : 1.18 in./30 mm
- Width : 0.47 in./12 mm
- Length : 2.87 in./73 mm
- Mac OS X v.10.5.6 or later
- Mac Intel Core Duo processor
- 512 MB RAM
- QuickTime v7.6 or later, iTunes v8.1 or later
- UPC or EAN No. : 852095000218
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note : Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
Ratings & Reviews
Easy & reliable for old video tapes
I bought this to transfer a pile of old VHS home movies into iTunes. It could hardly be easier, and the quality seems quite good f or only a hundred bucks (although I'd forgotten how crummy VHS looks compared to DVD).
The only issue I had is a couple of tapes had crinkled areas at the beginning, which it had a hard time with. But I was able to just skip forward a little bit to the non-damaged area and then it worked fine. …
- Written by Tech H
176 of 184 people found this useful
Occasionally choppy, but otherwise fine
Like the previous reviewer, I have also experienced some choppy video. The first few seconds of each recording are choppy (looks l ike dropped frames), and occasionally in the middle of recordings or after the transition from one scene to another. However, for > 95% of the recording it's fine. The recorded quality is good (my recordings are mpeg4 because I don't have enough hardware for H.264) and the software is exceptionally easy to use. I'm not sorry I bought it, but it is annoying to have to re-record video that was inexplicably choppy. I've asked Elgato for an explanation and will update this review if I get one. …
- Written by Howard T from Highland Mills
130 of 145 people found this useful
quality too low
great little device but the output is very low quality. nowhere on the advert or on the box for that matter, does it specify the q uality or number of lines output.
i have bought it, was very impressed with its simplicity & how well it works, but the quality is really disappointing.
does anyone know of a similar but better device? …
- Written by PETE A from REDHILL
107 of 120 people found this useful
This is a great image transferring device that is so easy to use. Saves a lot of money from taking old VHS, 8mm and VHS-c to have transferred to DVD. Couldn't ask for anything easier and uncomplicated to use. …
- Written by Kim H from Cleveland
1 of 1 people found this useful
Use to be great does not work with USB 3
Elgato Video Capture does not work with USB 3 i what tried every think to make it work but does not.
If you Have older Mac with o nly USB 2 and you can get it to work it is great
I am now looking for some think that with work to replace it …
- Written by Larry A from Kansas City
5 of 5 people found this useful
After many years of evaluating ways I could get my old tapes digitized, I finally made a move and purchased the Elgato unit. I was never comfortable handing over my precious family memories to someone else to convert, fearing that I would not see them again. I very easily and successfully converted old VHS, Hi8, and mini cassette videos directly onto my computer. Now I can quickly scan them to find important clips and edit them through imovie. I couldn't be happier! …
- Written by Kelly S from Suwanee
3 of 3 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
- Asked by David H from Arco
Will the Elgato work with a 1996 JVC GR-AX 94 camcorder? It has a white and yellow outlet. I want to transfer the video to my iMac OS 10.8.2 MLion
- Asked by Mary S from Conyers
I haven't used this capture device yet, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work. Your camcorder has a composite video output (yellow) and a mono audio output (white), which should be accepted by the Elgato capture. …
- Answered by Darren S
- Asked by Mark C
The Elgato-branded device outputs MPEG-4 video, while the Roxio device outputs MPEG-2 files (the sam e format as commercial DVDs).
From - Tim E Robertson "Publisher MyMac" …
- Answered by Greg H from Buford
- Asked by Laurie H from Stamford
Yes, I use it for that. The best you will get is 480p though, plus you can't stream with it. I wou ld recommend "Black Magic" instead. $50.00 more and you can record 720p, plus stream to justin.tv or ustream. …
- Answered by Erik R from Hopkins
Try with Elagato Eye TV USB and other portable devices. They are for Macs
- Answered by Chirayu B from Tarneit