Studio quality anywhere
About the size of an iPhone, MiC makes it easy to capture your best take with incredible quality, anywhere your music takes you. Record any sound you can imagine, from vocals to vibraphones, pianos to percussion and everything in between, and build a track right on your iPad with GarageBand.
Three products in one small package
MiC integrates a microphone, microphone preamp and an A/D converter into one compact device. Each part of MiC is designed to deliver the lowest noise and highest quality signal possible for a digital microphone. And it all fits in your pocket.
Built for the future
Introduced in 2011, the original MiC became the mobile microphone of choice for artists desiring that big-studio microphone sound. The latest MiC delivers unsurpassed recording quality. It's optimised for the newest iOS devices, allowing you to record in pristine fidelity up to 24-bit/96 kHz.
Since 1985, Apogee has continually produced award-winning technology that powers many of the world's most respected studios. Apogee products have been instrumental in capturing countless GRAMMY and OSCAR winning performances.
- PureDIGITAL connection delivers pristine sound quality
- Studio-quality cardioid condenser microphone
- Designed for vocal and acoustic instrument recording
- Also great for recording interviews, podcasts, voiceovers, and audio for DSLR video
- Works with GarageBand on iPad and iPhone or with any Core Audio-compatible application on a Mac
- No confusing setup, so you can start recording in minutes
- Gain Control knob allows easy input level adjustment
- Multicolor LED for status indication and input level monitoring
- Bus-powered by iPad, iPhone, or Mac
- Studio-quality microphone preamp with up to 40dB of gain
- 96kHz, 24-bit analog-to-digital conversion
- All metal construction
- Connects to Lightning or 30-pin dockconnector on iPad and iPhone and USB port on Macs
- Extremely compact and portable
Did you notice?Three products in one, MiC combines a microphone, a mic preamp and a digital converter – everything you need to record.
Apple Recommends ForAnyone who wants a high-quality digital microphone with incredible sound and total portability for recording on iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Mac.
What's in the Box?
- Apogee MiC microphone
- Lightning connector cable for connection to iPad and iPhone(3.28 ft./1 m)
- 30-pin dock connector cable for connection to iPad and iPhone (1.64 ft./.5 m)
- Cable for connection to Mac (1 m)
- Quick start guide
- Desktop tripod
- Height: 11.58 cm/4.56 in.
- Width: 3.86 cm/1.52 in.
- Mac OS X v10.7.5 or later or iOS 6.1 or later
- 1.5 GHz or faster Intel processor
- 2 GB of RAM minimum; 4 GB recommended
- For Mac: GarageBand, Logic Pro, MainStage or any Core Audio compatible application. For iOS: Made for GarageBand on iPod touch, iPhone and iPad. Works with other Core Audio compatible apps.
- Mfr. Part Number: MIC
- UPC or EAN No.: 805676301150
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
GarageBand turns your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play a piano, organ, guitar, and drums. They sound and play like their counterparts, but let you do things you could never do on a real instrument. Enjoy Smart Instruments that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug an electric guitar into your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch and play through classic amps and stompbox effects.* Use a Touch Instrument, a built-in microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance. GarageBand now takes song creation to the next level with support for up to 32 tracks.** Get even more sounds for GarageBand with a one-time in-app purchase or record popular third-party music apps using Inter-App Audio in iOS 7. And share your song using email, Facebook, YouTube, SoundCloud, or AirDrop for iOS.
Play your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch like a musical instrument
• Play musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Tap out beats with an acoustic and electronic drum kit
• Record your voice using the built-in microphone and apply fun sound effects
• Recreate legendary guitar rigs with 9 amps and 10 stompbox effects*
• Use the Sampler to create an instrument from sounds you record, then play them on a keyboard*
• Record compatible third-party music apps right into GarageBand using Inter-App Audio in iOS 7
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Conduct an entire string orchestra with just one finger using Smart Strings*
• Tap chords to instantly create keyboard grooves with the Smart Keyboard*
• Strum chords on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar, trigger fingerpicking patterns for popular chords, or switch to Notes view to try your hand at the real thing
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds*
• Drag drum instruments onto a grid to create your own beats with Smart Drums*
Start a Jam Session with your friends
• Use your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to play or record live over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with up to three of your friends
• Tempo, key, time signature, and chords automatically sync to the bandleader
• Jam with any Touch Instrument or live instruments like electric guitar or voice
• The bandleader automatically collects everyone's recordings so they can be mixed as a song and shared
Create a song anywhere you go
• Arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks** using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops
• Use the Note Editor to adjust or fine-tune any Touch Instrument recording
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Use the Mixer to fine-tune each track’s volume —solo or mute any track or adjust pan, reverb, and echo
• Choose from over 250 professionally prerecorded loops as a backing band to your song
Share your songs
• Keep your GarageBand songs up to date across all your iOS devices with iCloud
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs directly to Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud
• Email songs right from GarageBand
• Export your song and add it to the iTunes library on your Mac or PC
• Share GarageBand projects directly between iOS devices using Airdrop for iOS
* Requires one-time in-app purchase for the complete collection of GarageBand instruments and sounds.
** 32 tracks available on iOS devices with the A7 chip. 16 tracks available on iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPad (4th generation), iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation). …
Ratings & Reviews
A superb, compact mic
This was my first microphone purchase, for use with a Mac Pro. Having a Yamaha USB receiver as my sound output device, I wanted a This was my first microphone purchase, for use with a Mac Pro. Having a Yamaha USB receiver as my sound output device, I wanted a USB mic of comparable quality for the sound input device. After evaluating a lot of choices, I settled on the Apogee, where their outstanding website and its thorough info and sound samples made it clear that these people are dead serious about high quality sound. It was also the case that I wanted a mic that looked great on my desktop, and not stick out like a bizarre thumb as some competing mics do. This is one of the best things I've ever bought, delivering high quality sound without taking up a lot of space. …
- Written by Richard S from Framingham
52 of 55 people found this useful
In the right hands, this thing is GOLD.
As a songwriter, I do/have done a lot of demo-ing/recording on my mobile studio(GarageBand on a MacBook Pro) and the Mic has quick As a songwriter, I do/have done a lot of demo-ing/recording on my mobile studio(GarageBand on a MacBook Pro) and the Mic has quickly become one of the most used toys of mine. Works GREAT for vocals and, with knowledge of mic positioning, sounds as good as any mic I've ever heard for acoustic guitars. Definitely do not regret buying!!! …
- Written by Kevin C from Sherman Oaks
26 of 27 people found this useful
After considerable research of USB microphones I ordered an Apogee MiC - In short I am delighted.
Easy set-up - I plugged it i After considerable research of USB microphones I ordered an Apogee MiC - In short I am delighted.
Easy set-up - I plugged it in and I was underway! I use GarageBand and the MiC has added an outstanding, accurate dynamic to my recordings. Correct line levels are achieved with the gain adjustment dial on the side of the unit. The manual also provides handy tips for positioning the MiC for best results.
Well done Apogee!! …
- Written by John H from Auckland
5 of 6 people found this useful
Great Mic, nice sound, compact size.
I used the mic mostly with my iPad mini, but i connected it also to mac and Windows machine ( yes it works with windows, but Hi,
I used the mic mostly with my iPad mini, but i connected it also to mac and Windows machine ( yes it works with windows, but not as usual USB mic but you need to install ASIO4all free asio drivers and off course use recording application which is able to use asio drivers - all DAW windows software and some consumer audio editing soft like Audacity compiled with asio support... it is not perfect but works for me and some other people)
- Regarding the sound, this is really great.
- Build quality - all metal housing speaks for itself - actually it is pretty heavy for the size because of it...
- Regarding the cabling, all cables are short but... if you need longer cable and you are using mac then instead of buying dedicated expensive Apogee 3m cable you can use cheap USB extension cable.
What's more, if you need a longer connection to your iPad and -! if you already have an apple lightning to USB Camera Adapter !- then u can use a trick and instead of using apogee_to_lightning short cable ( or buying Apogee expensive extension) you can use (Apogee_to_USB)+(USB extension cable)+( Apple lightning to USB Camera Adapter) and it should work as I tried with my iPad mini this connection without the USB extension (Apogee_to_USB)+( Apple lightning to USB Camera Adapter) and it worked fine :) an extension cable of 3 meters should not cause the trouble in my opinion. …
- Written by Grzegorz G from Warszawa
3 of 3 people found this useful
Amazing sound! I use it for a live broadcast via ustream and its ridiculous!
Get this Mic
- Written by Bryan G from Peoria
1 of 1 people found this useful
So far it's awesome.
I just got my new Mic 96K today. I hooked it up to my iPad and immediately started recording. The sound quality is great and my pa I just got my new Mic 96K today. I hooked it up to my iPad and immediately started recording. The sound quality is great and my past experience with Apogee has been stellar. Not only are they serious about their mic quality, but they are serious about excellent customer service. That is worth a lot to me.
I do recommend that you purchase the case for it as it makes everything compact and offers protection and an easy way to take a long the tripod, cords and adapter. …
- Written by Smash H from Pasadena
1 of 1 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
What microphone does apple sell that is best for recording piano?
- Asked by Noah C from Mclean
Apogee MiC sounds great on Piano and acoustic instruments. There is a great YouTube video of Ted Gow Apogee MiC sounds great on Piano and acoustic instruments. There is a great YouTube video of Ted Gowans from Tegan and Sarah recording acoustic instruments with MiC. …
- Answered by Rob C from Nashville
I would like to confirm that this is the newest Mic 96K advertised on Apogee's website and that it does it come with the mic stand adapter.
- Asked by Angela S from Sault Ste Marie
- Answered by Rob C from Lenoir City
does the mic work with iphone 5s and ipad mini?
- Asked by Chloe I
The latest version of MiC includes Lightning, 30-Pin and USB cables per the product description.
- Answered by Rob C from Nashville