Questions & Answers for Apple Wireless Keyboard - English (USA)
685 Questions from the Community
Are Apple keyboards, with only a delete key, less efficient in making deletions than conventional keyboards with both a backspace and a delete key?
I have been using a Windows desktop at home and my office. Although I have never had a laptop, I have been planning to buy an Apple laptop for use when I travel. However, I recently used an Apple and found its keyboard, in one particular way, to be inferior to the standard keyboards that I have been accustomed to using. Do you agree?
A conventional keyboard has two keys to make deletions. The backspace key deletes characters to the left of the cursor. The delete key deletes characters to the right of the cursor. In contrast, the Apple keyboard has only one key to make deletions. It is the delete key and it deletes characters to the left of the cursor. It appears that if I want to delete characters to the right of the cursor, there is no way to do that directly and simply. Am I correct about that? I must either use a second key or I must first highlight the text and then delete it.
Using a non-Apple conventional keyboard, it is also possible to delete an entire word and one adjacent space in only two strokes by using a combination of the control key and the delete key. The same can be done in the other direction using the control key and the backspace key. How would these two types of deletion most efficiently be done with an Apple keyboard?
The reality seems to be that two keys to delete can operate more efficiently, in more directions, than only one (Apple). Do you agree that the Apple keyboard is less efficient in making deletions than the conventional keyboard when using Word software? What is the best way to get around that inefficiency in a MacBookPro? If there is no way around it, should this discourage me from getting an Apple since I do lots of word processing and deletions?
Does the Apple keyboard have any advantages over the conventional keyboard that I should be aware of?Best Answer:
fn + delete = deletes to the right of the cursor.
- Answered by Eric K from Saint Petersburg
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Are Apple keyboards, with only a delete key, less efficient in making deletions than conventional keyboards with both a backspace and a delete key?)
Yes, you can use a wireless keyboard like the small wireless Apple keyboard on the iPad mini there is no difference to the iPad, it is the same iOS and same design ideas. You can talk to a Apple person at the shop and can give you more info.
- Answered by Michael P from Newcastle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the wireless keyboard with an iPad mini?)
can you use the apple wireless keyboard with the ipad 2?
- Asked by Trampas S from Bloomington
- Flag as inappropriate (can you use the apple wireless keyboard with the ipad 2?)
Go to Settings app
Make sure Bluetooth is turned on
Make sure your keyboard is in discovery mode (press the silver button on the right side of the keyboard - the green light will start flashing)
In the Bluetooth section on the iPad, you should see the wireless keyboard
Select the found keyboard to pair it with the iPad
You'll be asked to type a pairing code on the keyboard - if it's entered successfully, your keyboard will be paired with the iPad (or any iOS device with Bluetooth)
Note that when you are using the Bluetooth keyboard, the normal iPad keyboard does not appear - turn off Bluetooth or the external keyboard (press and hold the button on the right side of the Apple Wireless Keyboard), or travel outside the 10-15m range of Bluetooth to go back to using the regular iPad keyboard
- Answered by Spring L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you use the apple wireless keyboard with the ipad 2?)
can i use the keyboard with iphone 4s ipodtouch 5th gen.
- Asked by Brenda M from Edmonton
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use the keyboard with iphone 4s ipodtouch 5th gen.)
Yes, I have just sucessfully paired my keyboard with my iPod touch 5th gen by holding down the power button on the keyboard until the green light flashes to enter pairing mode. Then going to Settings > Bluetooth, choosing the Apple Wireless Keyboard and entering the passcode on the keyboard connects the devices. You can then type on the iPod touch using the Keyboard.
- Answered by James C
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use the keyboard with iphone 4s ipodtouch 5th gen.)
Is there a keyboard short cut for page up/down with the wireless keyboard?
- Asked by Jason C from Gainesville
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a keyboard short cut for page up/down with the wireless keyboard?)
No, this keyboard has a similar layout like the macbook where there is no dedicated page up/page down keys. However, there are keyboard shortcuts for these functions and more:
1. FN+(Arrow up/down) = Page up / down
2. FN+(Arrow left/right) = go to top or bottom of a page
3. COMMAND+(Arrow up/down) = go to top or bottom of a page
4. COMMAND+(Arrow left/right) = go to beginning/end of a line
- Answered by Yossef M from Brookline
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is there a keyboard short cut for page up/down with the wireless keyboard?)
Pairing with AppleTV
Sometimes we have data-input needs with the AppleTV, like searches in Netflix and setting up Wi-Fi. The inboard single clicker method is tedious and slow. Will this keyboard pair with AppleTV? Guaranteed? If not, which one will?
Ideal for me is a keyboard which would work for the iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, and the TV.
- Asked by Tim B from Felton
- Flag as inappropriate (Pairing with AppleTV)
Is it possible to order an English/Arabic version of the keyboard in Canada?
When purchasing a macbook laptop you have the option to choose an English/Arabic keyboard, however that does not seem to be the case when ordering a wireless keyboard.
Is it possible to purchase an English/Arabic wireless keyboard from the Canadian store online?
- Asked by Sherif A from Dundas
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to order an English/Arabic version of the keyboard in Canada?)
Can I use this for my Apple TV?
Apple Wireless Keyboard
- Asked by Gerard P P from Olean
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this for my Apple TV?)
does the wireless keyboard work with ipad?
- Asked by Richard G from Pembroke
- Flag as inappropriate (does the wireless keyboard work with ipad?)
Yes it does, and it works great. If you have a problem with the set up (i.e. pairing the keyboard to iPad), check Settings to be sure you have Bluetooth turned on.
- Answered by Patrick M from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does the wireless keyboard work with ipad?)
does this keyboard have a scroll key and how do I unlock it
- Asked by Wendy W from Fort Lee
- Flag as inappropriate (does this keyboard have a scroll key and how do I unlock it)
Why would I want a keyboard with the ipad?
I don't have my ipad yet, but want to have all the accessories ready when it arrives. The reviews about the keyboard are good, but I don't understand why I
would need one. Don't you just type on the ipad?
- Asked by Dana B from Daytona Beach
- Flag as inappropriate (Why would I want a keyboard with the ipad?)
When I am typing notes in class it is really nice to be able to type without wondering where your fingers are
and actually I put the keyboard on my lap and have my Ipad on my desk and so its not getting in the way in my class ---- absolute best thing in the world --- and my professors love it to cause your not hiding behind a laptop. They can see your face and they can tell your taking notes and not chatting with friends or playing solitaire
- Answered by Adam C from Albuquerque
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Why would I want a keyboard with the ipad?)
Yes it does work with Windows 7.
The pairing set-up is very straight forward, just make sure your updates are current and there's nothing much to do really.
HOWEVER, here are a couple of tips to solve two big problems I had. Hopefully knowing these will save you more time than I had to spend finding them.
One: The wireless keyboard would go to sleep all the time and very quickly and the first group of keystrokes wouldn't register. Eventually, I found that if you turn off "Let computer put keyboard to sleep" under Power Management under Device Manager, then this fixes the problem.
Two: Several Apple keys don't exist / match Windows, one of them being Delete. This of course was a problem when you have to press 'Alt-Ctrl-Del' to log on! Way easier than downloading scripts or aps and re-mapping keys, is to simply use the On-screen Keyboard to log on. To activate it, click a small dial on the bottom left side on the Windows log on page.
I had these issues & solutions using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and a late model 24" iMac. I hope this post saves you time.
- Answered by Brendon H
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the Apple Wireless Keyboard be used with a Windows Vista or Windows 7 PC?)
What Keyboard is a Model A1314?
Apple wireless keyboard
- Asked by Mark J from Modesto
- Flag as inappropriate (What Keyboard is a Model A1314?)
It is the updated, 2009 aluminum model that requires just two AA batteries instead of three. It requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later.
- Answered by Steven S from Mcalester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What Keyboard is a Model A1314?)
What's the length of the keyboard?
- Asked by Muhammad S from Everett
- Flag as inappropriate (What's the length of the keyboard?)
What's the length of the keyboard?
- Asked by Samantha W from Cupertino
- Flag as inappropriate (What's the length of the keyboard?)
Can the function keys be programmed?
- Asked by Robert S from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the function keys be programmed?)
How light is the keyboard?
I can't see how light the keyboard is in the product information. Does anyone knows how the keyboard exactly weights with the batteries?
- Asked by Farah S
- Flag as inappropriate (How light is the keyboard?)
can you use it on a samsung smart tv to control browser and apps?
- Asked by Kenny D from Holiday Island
- Flag as inappropriate (can you use it on a samsung smart tv to control browser and apps?)