Payment & Security
Read about the variety of payment options offered on the Apple Online Store, and how the tax on your order is calculated.
Choose a topic:
The Apple Online Store accepts a variety payment methods. Click on a payment method below to find out more.
Some payment types are ineligible for orders shipping to multiple addresses. If you are using an ineligible payment type for an order shipping to multiple addresses, you will need to change the payment method, or ship your order to a single address.
Credit Cards or Debit Cards
Troubleshooting credit card & debit card payment errors
- For new or recently reissued card, the card needs to be activated first.
- Check that the card details entered are correct, the card type (AMEX, Masters,Visa), card number and the expiration date.
- Remove any dashes or spaces for the card number.
- If you do not have sufficient credit limit, please check with your card issuer.
- If you have exceeded your daily spending limit for your debit card, please check with your card issuer.
- If everything seems to be correct, contact your card issuer. Your card issuer may need to verify with you before they authorise your purchase.
To prevent any unnecessary delays in processing your order, please ensure that the billing address on your order and credit card account matches. If you have recently moved or are unsure of your billing address, please contact your credit card-issuer to confirm.
The credit card security code is a unique three or four digit number printed on the front (American Express) or back (Visa/MasterCard) of your card.
Daily spending limits for Debit Cards
Most debit and credit cards have daily spending limits that may substantially delay the order processing, even if there is enough money in an account. When using a debit card, funds are immediately reserved in your bank account upon order placement. Please consult your card-issuer for more information about your daily spending limits if you are having trouble in placing your order.
When Apple charges your account
Apple receives authorisation to charge your account prior to shipping your item(s). However, your card will only be charged after your order has shipped. If your order contains multiple items and they ship at different times, you may see multiple charges on your credit card statement.
If you cancel your order before it has been billed, any authorisations placed on your credit or debit card account can take up to 30 days to reverse, depending on the credit card issuer. Contact your financial institution for their specific timeframes.
Credit cards accepted
- American Express
To pay for your purchase using a Direct Deposit:
- Place your order with an Apple Representative by phone on 800-692-7753.
- Obtain the final dollar total of your order including tax and any applicable shipping charges from the Apple Representative.
- Have your bank electronically transfer the total dollar amount of your order using the routing information below.
- Reference your web order number with your payment.
- Scan a copy of your deposit slip and email the attachment to the following email address: Receipts@apple.com.
- Beneficiary: Apple Sales New Zealand
- Bank: Citibank New Zealand
- Branch #: 312 840
- Account #: 0031562-02
Note:: Please allow three (3) business days for Apple to receive your payment and start processing your order.
Can I change my payment method?
The payment method for an order cannot be amended once the order has been submitted to Apple. To choose an alternative payment method, you will need to cancel your existing order and place a new order with your preferred payment method. Please note that when cancelling credit card orders, it can take up to ten (10) business days for the payment authorisation to be removed by your credit card company.
Are my credit/debit card detail secure?
The security of Apple Store servers is closely monitored to prevent any unauthorised disclosure or use of credit card numbers and to protect the confidentiality of your personal information. The Apple Store uses the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) industry standard, the highest level of security available today for web-secured applications. SSL relies on a pair of public and private key technologies provided by Verisign, Inc. and based on a 40-bit encryption algorithm developed by RSA Data Security, Inc.
When will my credit card be charged?
When you place your order, Apple requests authorisation to charge the order amount from your credit card company. If you ordered more than one item, there may be multiple authorisations. Once we receive approval, Apple reserves the amount on your card until the items are available to ship. Your card will be charged when your order ships. If you ordered more than one item, there may be more multiple charges as items ship separately as they become available.
Why was my credit card payment not processed?
Your credit card company may have declined authorisation to debit your card due to one of the below mentioned reasons. If such a situation arises, we will inform you of this via email:
- There may be a credit limit on your account
- The incorrect card type, number or expiry date was accidentally selected when placing the order
- There were dashes or spaces in the account number that could not be recognised
- Your bank requires verification from you before authorising the purchase
- Your card may be recently issued and has not yet been activated
Can I change my billing address?
Your billing address is the registered address that your credit card company holds. Please ensure that your billing address is correct at the time of placing your order. Once your order has been accepted by Apple your billing address cannot be changed as it would have already been authorised by your credit card company.