Composite AV Cable for iPhone 5
Prior to "upgrading" to an iPhone 5, I was able to use an Apple composite AV cable to connect my iPhone to my automobile's indash entertainment system and play movies on the ceiling mounted screen. I tried using my old compositive AV cable with a lightning adapter, but only sound comes through....no video. I see nothing available on the Apple website, and nothing in stores, that will send video from the iPhone to a composite cable (the input to the DVD player has three chords, one yellow, one red and one white). I'm guessing this has something to do with digital outputfrom the iPhone. Please let me know if there is a work around. Right now, we are using old iPods we have to show movies, but I'm a little surprised that the newer iPhones lack this functionality.
- Asked by David M from El Dorado Hills
- Aug 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Composite AV Cable for iPhone 5)
3 Answers from the Community
You have to buy the Composite AV, then the 30 Pin to HDMI , ( for the Video) then HDMI to Lightning adaptor - worked on My Ford Fusion, now I can view media with video and sound on my car screen
Brian El Dorado Hills
- Answered by Brian B from El Dorado Hills
- May 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
We just tried the same thing as you and have found that there really isn't any way around it. It says on the side of the box (which we missed because it's so small) that video output isn't supported by any 30 pin to lightning adaptors. We'll probably speak to apple and see if they have any suggestions. But that's why you're not getting video.
- Answered by Carrianne G from Glendale Heights
- Mar 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I'm having the same exact issue. I'm assuming (yet to try) that if you use a lightning to HDMI, then HDMI to composite, that should do it.
- Answered by Moustafa A
- Feb 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can I use my iPhone 3s with a composite cable to watch hulu
- Asked by James P from Norwalk
- Aug 12, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my iPhone 3s with a composite cable to watch hulu)
- Asked about: Apple Composite AV Cable