Questions & Answers for Lightning to VGA Adapter
42 Questions from the Community
Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?
SlideShark app allows for a "notes view", where I am supposed to be able to see my notes on my ipad, but audience only sees the actual "slide view". I want to know if anybody else has tried this. Does it work?
- Asked by Barbara F from Indianapolis
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?)
SlideShark gives you the option to view your PowerPoint presentation (including all graphics and animations) in full screen or in a notes view where you can see the slide notes, a roll of upcoming slides and a window showing the slide playing through with all the animations (still controlled by clicks/taps), a bit like presenter view on PowerPoint. When you connect your iPad to a second monitor, the second monitor will only ever show the full screen presentation show, but you have the option on the iPad to have a mirror (full screen) or presenter view. You can't see the SlideShark menu on the second screen either, so you can move between different presentations really easily.
For me, it's a superb app and one of the main reasons for getting an iPad. It works really seamlessly, and you can use your iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote too, so you don't even need to hold the iPad.
Can you put sd card in it?
Does this adapter allow you yo put sd camera card on it to transfer from camera to iPad?
- Asked by Mary M from Hawkins
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you put sd card in it?)
- Answered by Jordan I
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you put sd card in it?)
I am looking to buy " lightning to VGA adaptor" for iphone 5
I have a 8 inch screen in my car that supports video input via hdmi
I want to display google maps on it from iphone 5
My real question is will VGA support mirroring google maps from iphone to that screen ?
- Asked by Gurjant C from Yuba City
- Flag as inappropriate (Mirroring)
If your car display wants "video input via HDMI", you should purchase the "Lightning Digital AV Adapter" (part MD826ZM) instead, as that one provides HDMI out.
- Answered by Christopher S from Hampton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Mirroring)
Lightning to VGA Adapter allow data transfer using USB Lightning Cable and transfer video at the same time?
If I plug the VGA cable into the TV and USB on the computer, I can transfer data and video at the same time?
- Asked by Douglas E B from Florianópolis
- Flag as inappropriate (Lightning to VGA Adapter allow data transfer using USB Lightning Cable and transfer video at the same time?)
Yes it can be used to charge the iOS device while being used. The adapter has an input for a lightning cable, so if you plug in the lightning cable (attached to a charger) to the adapter, the iPhone/iPad/iPod will charge while you are using the VGA adapter.
- Answered by Brian G from Salem
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the Lightning to VGA adaptor charge the iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch when being used?)
Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?
Given VGA is video only, can the Lightning Port on the adapter be used for audio and power or just power? Does the audio pass through the connector?
- Asked by Mark S from Bellevue
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?)
Yes, the Apple Lightning connector passes audio in digital format through any official Lightning cable. For instance, I use a Lightning cable to pass a digital audio signal from my iPhone 5 to my Sony PHA-1 external portable DAC/Headphone AMP combo and it sounds amazing!
- Answered by Daniel M from Garden City
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?)
You should use the lightning to VGA. This will plug in to your smart board and work instantly. For the projector you just need the projector hooked up to a computer and plug in this same adapter to the computer. This will work perfectly.
- Answered by Molly B from Argyle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Which cable would be best to connect my iPad to the smart board and projector?????)
This will work fine IF your HDTV has VGA input. If you have no other reason for a VGA adapter, you might want to get the Lightning Digital AV Adapter (part no. MD826ZM) instead, as it provides HDMI video instead of VGA—that is assuming that you want to connect to your TV over HDMI cable instead of VGA. But your HDTV might have both HDMI and VGA, in which case you can use either this adapter or the Lightning Digital AV Adapter (part no. MD826ZM).
- Answered by Christopher S from Hampton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I want to use video chat with Ipad and see it on my hdtv so more can view, is this possible?)
Starting with the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, everything is mirrored on the projector or monitor. So if you have the iPad with Retina Display, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/5S/5C (which are the only models this adapter is currently supported by) you will see apps, videos, pictures, and even apps that don't necessarily support TV Out.
The iPod touch 5th generation is also supported, which I believe also has the video mirroring feature.
- Answered by Matthew L from Pittsburgh
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does lightning to vga adapter show all apps ?on a projector or just the main apple and video apps)
yes of course you can transfer files. Simple have google drive or dropbox in your ipad and install the same in your acer computer. It will do the rest....
- Answered by Hudha Z from Kurunegala
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I transfer pictures or files from my iPad to my acer computer, which uses Microsoft 7?)
Yes and no. You will notice people complaining about not being able to view iTunes content and the reason for this has nothing to do with their cable and everything to do with their display/tv/projector. A number of years back, something called HDCP was introduced to prevent people copying HD content. In order to view HDCP content, you need a compliant screen, it has nothing to do with the cable. If your screen/tv is not HDCP compliant, you will not be able to view content purchased on iTunes. Most newer TVs and Screens should be HDCP compliant but if you have an older one, it may be an issue.
- Answered by Athol H from Port Melbourne
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this device allow me to download movies on my iPad and connect to my TV for viewing)
what gender is this adapter-my projector has female connection
I have an epson power light projector.. (doesn't work w/ubs from iphone 5 or my ipad mini) Called epson & was told vga adapter would work. vga outlet gender on projector is female
- Asked by Lloyd R from Russell
- Flag as inappropriate (what gender is this adapter-my projector has female connection)
The usual protocol is that all 'devices' are female and interconnecting cables are male on both ends. That is, computer = female; projector = female; interconnecting cable is male on both ends. Since this dongle is basically what would be on a 'device' it is female as the picture on the web page clearly shows.
- Answered by Peter S from Kent
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what gender is this adapter-my projector has female connection)
Can you charge your device at the same time?
- Asked by Daniel S
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you charge your device at the same time?)
- Answered by Irene H
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you charge your device at the same time?)
What about audio?
I assume, with this device, you could output the video via VGA, as stated. However, if you have a movie on your iphone 5, can you simultaneously output audio via the headphone jack on the iphone 5 while this device is still plugged into the Lightning connector?
- Asked by David M from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (What about audio?)
VGA does not support audio out. You will need to use the 3.5mm jack to export audio, if you use the VGA connector.
The Digital AV adapter, however, does support audio out through HDMI.
- Answered by Jake R from Castle Rock
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What about audio?)
No. Use Apple’s
• Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader or
• Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
for this task.
- Answered by Stephen W from Nashville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i transfer pictures from my nikon d3100 to my ipad4 using lightning to vga adapter)
How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?
I have a pioneer avh-2500bt that is telling me I need VGA adaptor for my iPhone 5..
Although, I'm finding out that it does not support audio transfer. How does the audio work?
- Asked by Karl R from Hobbs
- Flag as inappropriate (How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?)
To get audio, you need to connect the iPhone to a set of speakers (or your sound system) using the headphone jack, or you can just use the iphone's speaker.
You can't get audio through VGA because it is just for the video.
- Answered by Cameron B from Keysborough
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?)
Can I use the lightning to VGA in the reverse so that my iPad w/Retina Display is my projector?
My laptop is my primary academic device. It would help in note-taking if I was able to occasionally turn my highly portable iPad into an extension of my laptop's screen. Thank you :)
- Asked by Leah H from Lincoln
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the lightning to VGA in the reverse so that my iPad w/Retina Display is my projector?)
No, you cannot. It only works for video output.
There is, however, an app called Air Display from Avatron Software that claims to be able to do exactly this, with no additional hardware necessary. Search the App Store for it.
- Answered by Marc M from Arcata
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the lightning to VGA in the reverse so that my iPad w/Retina Display is my projector?)
Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter
I would like to know the length of the Lightning to VGA Adapter cable
I'm looking for a fairly long one. And also can it be extended with the help of another cables?
- Asked by Gururaj S
- Flag as inappropriate (Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter)
This is an adapter not a cable. It adapts your Lighting device to be used with projectors and displays that use a VGA signal. You use a standard VGA cable that came with the projector or display. Or you can by a standard VGA cable of various lengths and a computer store. The standard cable will have a male connector at each end. This adapter therefore has a female VGA connector that the standard VGA cable with the male connector plugs into. If you look you will also find that the standard VGA connector on your TV, projector or display has a .... wait for it .... female connector. To recap. A standard VGA cable will have male connectors at each end. Devices that work with a other VGA standard devices have female connectors. Pretty cool.
- Answered by Les W from Boca Raton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter)
What's in the box with the iphone5?
- Asked by Linda H from Ferriday
- Flag as inappropriate (What's in the box with the iphone5?)
Lightning sync/charge cable, charger, new-style ear buds and nano-sim ejection tool. Oh - and a quick start guide.
- Answered by Darrin S from London
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What's in the box with the iphone5?)
Only if the app you use supports video playback. Some file browsers (mainly the free ones) let you copy, paste, move, etc., but don't actually let you open the files.
- Answered by Matthew L from Pittsburgh
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will I be able to play films from my storage device using my file browser app on my iPad to a TV using this ?)