More speed, more efficient workflow
With lightning-fast speeds, immense five-disk capacity and proven LaCie reliability, the 5big Thunderbolt Series is the perfect complement to your Thunderbolt-compatible Mac, ideal for handling professional creative workflows. Get speeds of 785MB/s* thanks to five 7200rpm/64MB cache hard disks preconfigured in RAID 0. With these speeds, you have all you need for any post-production work.
RAID flexibility for speed and security
Thanks to its five disks, the LaCie 5big lets you custom make RAID configurations for your precise needs. Create a lightning-fast volume with three disks in RAID 0 and a safe volume with two disks in RAID 1. Hot-swappable disks** let you slide a new disk into the safe volume without switching off the device. The LaCie 5big can also be used as a JBOD array. With five working days a week, you can assign each disk to a daily backup. Support for JBOD makes the LaCie 5big the ideal backup companion to your Mac mini with OS X Server.
Dual cooling system for long-term reliability
The LaCie 5big's advanced dual cooling system ensures long-term reliability by preventing overheating. The system consists of three key components: an innovative heat-dissipating aluminium casing, a Noctua cooling fan and jumbo heat exhausts. Every aspect of this ultra-quiet cooling system makes the LaCie 5big perfect for even the most noise-sensitive creative environments.
Designed for convenience
Designed to integrate seamlessly into professional environments, with a small footprint and space-saving design, you can stand it alone or stack with multiple LaCie 5bigs.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- Blazing speeds up to 785 MB/s*
- Dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining
- RAID 0, 1 and JBOD support with hot swap
- Time Machine compatible
- Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac included
- Thunderbolt cable included
- Whisper-quiet dual cooling
Did you notice?The Thunderbolt cable comes with the drive, so there's no need to make a separate purchase.
Apple Recommends ForCreative professionals who want to focus on projects without the hassle of managing multiple storage devices.
What's in the Box?
- LaCie 5big Thunderbolt Series Hard Drive
- Thunderbolt cable
- External power supply
- Quick install guide
- Software suite: LaCie Setup Assistant, LaCie Private-Public, Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac, Genie Backup Manager Pro for PC, Wuala Secure Cloud Storage
- Other Features: Kensington Port, RAID Support, Time Machine Compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 220 mm/8.6 in.
- Width: 173 mm/6.8 in.
- Weight: 7.6 kg
- Length: 196 mm/7.7 in.
- OS X 10.5 (Intel only); OS X 10.6 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: 9000378U
- UPC or EAN No.: 093053006891
- Note: Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple-branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer — please see your product box and literature for details. Benefits under the manufacturer's warranty are in addition to rights provided by consumer law. For details, click here.
- * Tests conducted in RAID 0 with five 4TB 7200rpm drives. Speeds depend on the drives and RAID mode used and average transfer rates may vary from one computer to another and from one product to another. ** Hot swapping will result in data loss in a RAID 0 array
Ratings & Reviews
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
I have an older iMac (Firewire 800 and 400) if I got a thunderbolt adapter would I run into any issues with this device?
- Asked by Michael B from Cary
The adapter is not going to help you. The adapter converts a Thunderbolt to FireWire but you must fi The adapter is not going to help you. The adapter converts a Thunderbolt to FireWire but you must first have a Mac that has a Thunderbolt port.
The adapter will not create a Thunderbolt port on an older Mac with FireWire.
You will need to either purchase a new Mac with Thunderbolt, or consider a different product that has a FireWire port to be compatible with your current Mac. …
- Answered by Mike M from Beaverton
I have a Mac Mini Server running Server 3.0, can I plug this into the server and use this for network share points?
- Asked by James M
Does the unit come with the 5 plugin hard drives or do you have to purchase them separately?
- Asked by Norman A from Moss Vale
This unit comes with 5 each of the 2TB 7200 RPM drives, resulting in 10TB formatted as Of course!
This unit comes with 5 each of the 2TB 7200 RPM drives, resulting in 10TB formatted as a 10TB volume.
The 20TB version comes with 5 each of the 4TB 7200 RPM drives, resulting in 20TB of capacity.
Disk Utility can be used to reformat into RAID-1 volumes or JBOD.
As far as I know, LaCie does not sell this unit without drives. They also sell replacement drives. …
- Answered by Mike M from Beaverton
Can this be run in Raid 5?
- Asked by Hans D from Northridge
I agree, definitely too much data to loose by one bad disk. Unfortunately, it doesn't run in RAID 5 I agree, definitely too much data to loose by one bad disk. Unfortunately, it doesn't run in RAID 5. I was looking at this for myself, but will have to probably go with the Pegasus option (less storage and a slightly higher price tag), but as they say, you get what you pay for. …
- Answered by Bill K from Melbourne