The G-Technology G-DRIVE hard drive is a superb choice for projects like digital photography, audio/video editing and high-speed data backup that involve huge amounts of data. That's because its USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces can handle enormous traffic volumes. Plus it's plug and play on Mac OSX and ready to use with Time Machine. And G-DRIVE remains cool and quiet thanks to an all-aluminium enclosure with an integrated heat-sink system.
- USB 3.0 and FireWire ports for flexible, high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- Solid all-aluminium case makes for durability and stylish looks
- Plenty of storage for digital video, music, and photo files
- Includes all cables
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS
- Mac OS X and Windows compatible
- Three-year factory warranty
Did you notice?The sleek aluminium enclosure delivers the best in reliability and durability.
Apple Recommends ForA perfect companion for your Mac and all your demanding applications.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive
- Universal AC power supply
- FireWire 800 cables; FireWire 800 to 400 cable
- USB 3.0 cable (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Other Features : Kensington Port,Time Machine Compatible
- Connections : Firewire 400,Firewire 800,USB 2.0,USB 3.0
- Power Source : External power supply
- Height : 47 mm/1.85 in.
- Width : 130 mm/5.125 in.
- Weight : 1300 g
- Length : 235 mm/9.25 in.
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- OS X 10.5 or later
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Mfr. Part Number : 0G02529
- UPC or EAN No. : 705487191080
- Note : Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
Ratings & Reviews
Beautiful but noisy
If I could award stars for looks & construction it would get 5. It's a great looking piece of kit and beautifully built but it's l If I could award stars for looks & construction it would get 5. It's a great looking piece of kit and beautifully built but it's let down by two things. Firstly it's quite noisy, especially when Time Machine is running, a bit like a piece of paper stuck in the spokes of a bicycle. Second, is there any need for such a large and bright light on the front, it's a bit distracting especially when it's flashing away during back ups. I bought it to complement my new iMac and it does this very well and I've no complaints about it's operation, which is superb. If it was as quiet and unobtrusive as the Buffalo it replaced it would be the bees knees. …
- Written by George P B from Heswall
33 of 35 people found this useful
Beautiful but noisy and flashy
Very good drive fast, beautiful and built like a tank. There are two downsides - an over bright and very active (distracting) whit Very good drive fast, beautiful and built like a tank. There are two downsides - an over bright and very active (distracting) white LED activity light on the front and it is quite noisy even when only system processes are running. When it's backing up it is time to walk the dog! …
- Written by William A from MALMESBURY
18 of 20 people found this useful
Do NOT buy this drive!
I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAI I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAILED for no apparent reason. I of course contacted G-Technologies and found out that G-Technologies WOULD NOT honor their own warranty. Not only did I lose all my data -- I also have a $200 paperweight to remind me of what a rip-off product this G-drive is. Tip: If you care about safeguarding your data -- DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!! …
- Written by Peder R from Simi Valley
35 of 61 people found this useful
Well made product
I own 6 of these drives which have been in service for several years and have never had a problem with them. These drives supply b I own 6 of these drives which have been in service for several years and have never had a problem with them. These drives supply backup for Time Machine and they have been flawless.
It is always possible that any drive may fail. If it is in the warranty period I would not understand why the company would not honor that. There are always risks associated with using only one backup drive that is why RAID drives are coming out, real critical data should be backed up in 2 places and possibly one off site,
They are simple to install and come complete with all the wiring needed.
I have a minor wish in that I'd like to see them have - a feature that would turn them off or sleep them when the MAC was in sleep mode or offline.
I think these drives are sturdy and reliable and if the low noise is problematic look into a large cap flash drive. …
- Written by Kenneth H from Wilmot
Good Built but too noisy and glowing led
Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it is too noisy and the front led is more of a flashlight than an indicator, quite disturbing, as it is placed beside my iMac ! …
- Written by Guy T from Kritzendorf
4 of 5 people found this useful
Love This Drive
I've had this drive for over a year, and use it daily. I've never had a problem with it, or my 2 G-Drive Mini's
- Written by Adam C from Winnipeg
8 of 9 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can I use the G-Technology 3TB G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive with my iMac AND my MacBookPro?
- Asked by David R from Rugeley
- Nov 23, 2013
No answers yet
If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect an If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect and use the drive from another iMac. You can't typically access the same files simultaneously e.g. iPhoto. …
- Answered by Gerald B from Lower Sackville
- Nov 1, 2013
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Ge Hi Dudley,
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Gen 4 had a USB 2.0 connection.
Unfortunately the G-Technology G-DRIVE does not have 'hardware encryption', but they are great drives.
I hope this helps. …
- Answered by Adrian C from Santa Ana
- Aug 31, 2013
Will the hard drive work with my mac book pro if i plug it into my airport extreme?
- Asked by Louis N
- Jul 12, 2013
what speed is the hard drive. 720rps? I want to use it to cut HD footage on FCP7. will it cope?
- Asked by Samuel S
- May 31, 2013
According to the manufacturer's website, it is a 7,200 rpm drive.
- Answered by Mark W from Lake Forest
- Jun 28, 2013