Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
586 Questions from the Community
Our Digital VOIP phones connect to the internet via an ethernet cable. Will a Airport Express provide ample signal to support the digital phones?
Will Airport Express provide ample signal via an ethernet cable to support our new VOIP digital phones?
No answers yet
I am running an Airport Time Capsule along with an Airport Extreme to extend my wireless network in my home. I have a fish tank control module (Neptune's Apex Controller) that I would like to add to my wireless network. This product does not have wireless capabilities, but you can connect it to a wireless game adaptor and go wireless from there? Would an additional airport express work for me?
- Asked by Joe C from Rehoboth
- Aug 6, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (network extender)
Can I restrict access to this device with a whitelist of MAC addresses?
I currently use another brand of router which has limited capacity to list MAC addresses. And the number of devices at home is increasing.
I'm considering getting an Airport Express -- but it will only help me if I can create a whitelist of around 50 MAC addresses.
I want to deny access to any device that is not listed.
Can I accomplish this with an AirPort Express?
- Asked by David K from Mississauga
- Aug 17, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I restrict access to this device with a whitelist of MAC addresses?)
Will the Airport Express amplify my speakers?
I have in wall/ceiling speakers in my home. If I hook up the Airport will the Airport express amplify them when I stream music from my ipod or iphone? If not, what would you suggest?
- Asked by Kris S from Chubbuck
- Aug 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express amplify my speakers?)
Does the Airport express base station work as a internet router?
- Asked by Michael E from Nixa
- Jun 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport express base station work as a internet router?)
- Answered by Michael H from Arlington Heights
- Jun 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Airport express base station work as a internet router?)
Are a modem and/or router a necessity in order to setup the express, or can it be run as its own, individual wifi signal?
The place where I want the express is a far distance in my house from the router & modem. In order for the express to work, can I just plug it into an outlet and connect my computer/ios devices to it, or do I have to have it connected to the modem/router to use it?
- Asked by Dustin R from Haworth
- Aug 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Are a modem and/or router a necessity in order to setup the express, or can it be run as its own, individual wifi signal?)
can i use airport express as a network extender for my airport extreme
- Asked by Christina M from Zionville
- Aug 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use airport express as a network extender for my airport extreme)
Will this allow me to get wifi anywhere or just at home ?
like can i get wifi in the road with the AirPort Express or only at home
- Asked by Joel F from Santa Cruz
- Aug 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this allow me to get wifi anywhere or just at home ?)
i work for a professional rugby union side and we need away to share video files in games. do we need to a connection to the internet to make it work
No answers yet
Will a airport express 2.4/5Ghz. affect the performance of a mac mini @ 2.3Ghz?
Ive been running my 2009 macbook pro w/ a airport express 2.5/5Ghz. and achieving great internet speeds. Recently I purchased a mac mini operating at 2.3 Ghz. and it seems to be running slower than the old macbook did w/ the same airport express. Everything else between the two devices seems to be compatible as far as i can tell.
Can this small difference in bandwidth affect the performance of the new mac mini in this way?
- Asked by Jeff W from Tuscaloosa
- Jul 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a airport express 2.4/5Ghz. affect the performance of a mac mini @ 2.3Ghz?)
Should this be enough to handle video streaming?
Routers sold in stores always play up speeds of 150 vs 300 vs 600. I never really understood those either, but the sales guys always say that if I'm going to download video to a wireless divide, I'd better get the higher (and more expensive) speeds. Are they right, and will the AirPort Express be able to handle that alright?
- Asked by Larry S from Brookline
- Jun 15, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Should this be enough to handle video streaming?)
It really depends on what you need. If you plan on transferring large files >2GB frequently you need as much speed as possible. If you want, though, to just stream a video from your laptop to your TV then an average router can do it. I can stream pretty well with 50 Mbit/s wifi. On the other hand keep in mind that if you want to stream directly from Internet, you have to make sure first, that the router slows you down rather than your Internet provider. In any occasion, yes this router can handle video streaming, as far as it concerns your home/work network.
- Answered by Zafiris S
- Dec 29, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Should this be enough to handle video streaming?)
Do you have Airport express using 12v dc power supply?
- Asked by Nancy M from Sedona
- Jul 18, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you have Airport express using 12v dc power supply?)
Does AirPort express use wireless n OR wireless n^3x3
- Asked by Brad W from Pickering
- Aug 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does AirPort express use wireless n OR wireless n^3x3)
will airport express improve the strength and range of my verizon router?
My wi-fi signal often drops out -- overpowered by a neighbor's signal.
If I buy and connect an airport express will this solve the strength and range problem I"m experiencing?
If yes, how hard is it to connect and operationalize?
- Asked by Kay H from Rockville
- Jul 29, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (will airport express improve the strength and range of my verizon router?)
Yes you can. When string up your Airport Express Base Station, choose the option "Extend a Wireless Network". Select your wireless network and you should be good to go.
- Answered by Dean S from Encino
- Jun 22, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can we use Airport Express Base Station in parallel with Time capsule to fulfill wi-fi coverage for entire house?)
Can I use an AirPort Express with a WD 6TB My Book Thunderbolt Duo Dual-Drive Storage System and a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter?
To stream music using iTunes. Both when iMac is on and using iPhone or iPad when iMac is off.
No answers yet
AirPlayer and Wifi Extender?
Can this be used for both use as a connection for air play while also extending the range of my TimeCapsule?
- Asked by Carlos M from Forney
- May 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (AirPlayer and Wifi Extender?)