Is an iMac G5 OSX 10.4.11 upgrade possible? (To 10.5 or 10.6 for example)
I have an iMac someone just gave me. I wanted to play around with it, but having a G5 processor in it has seemed to hinder any fun I could have with the thing. What I want to do initially is upgrade the OS. The information on the Internet is plentiful, but confusing; especially when older post say it can't be done (2002) but newer posts say you just have to call Apple (2012/2013). The main problem with this is either:
(A) I am having issues understanding the naming correlations with the OSX versions, or (B) I understand it and actually cannot upgrade this computer (or it will cost an arm and a leg to do so).
Here's the specs:
Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f2
Is it possible to upgrade an iMac OSX 10.4.11 system to the next/newer OSX versions (like 10.5)? Is it costly? Will I get anything out of upgrading? Is this iMac with a G5 processor of any real use anymore (for instance, can I even get software for it)? Useful help would be appreciated. Thanks!
- Asked by David M from Alton
- Mar 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is an iMac G5 OSX 10.4.11 upgrade possible? (To 10.5 or 10.6 for example))
2 Answers from the Community
Yes, it is possible to upgrade your iMac G5 to Leopard. But to get a copy, you would have to source it from an online store, as Apple no longer produces copies of Leopard. Leopard was the last OS to run on PowerPC, and at this current point in time, the PowerPC architecture is considered to be obsolete. Whilst you can still find software with support for PowerPC, you would have a much better OS X experience on an Intel Machine.
- Answered by Joe D from Sydney
- Apr 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Target mode and clone from another. Up the memory to at least 2gigs. If your new to macs it would be useful to play around with.
- Answered by Holly W from Mashpee
- Dec 10, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have an iMac G5 OSX Leopard Version 10.5. Can I upgrade to 10.6?
- Asked by Ella T from St. Paul
- Feb 22, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an iMac G5 OSX Leopard Version 10.5. Can I upgrade to 10.6?)
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
can i run windows xp on a powerpc mac g5
- Asked by Barry S from Waianae
- Feb 17, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can i run windows xp on a powerpc mac g5)
No answers yet