Studio quality anywhere
About the size of an iPhone, MiC makes it easy to capture your best take with incredible quality, anywhere your music takes you. Record any sound you can imagine, from vocals to vibraphones, pianos to percussion and everything in between, and build a track right on your iPad with GarageBand.
Three products in one small package
MiC integrates a microphone, microphone preamp and an A/D converter into one compact device. Each part of MiC is designed to deliver the lowest noise and highest quality signal possible for a digital microphone. And it all fits in your pocket.
Built for the future
Introduced in 2011, the original MiC became the mobile microphone of choice for artists desiring that big-studio microphone sound. The latest MiC delivers unsurpassed recording quality. It's optimised for the newest iOS devices, allowing you to record in pristine fidelity up to 24-bit/96 kHz.
Since 1985, Apogee has continually produced award-winning technology that powers many of the world's most respected studios. Apogee products have been instrumental in capturing countless GRAMMY and OSCAR winning performances.
- PureDIGITAL connection delivers pristine sound quality
- Designed for vocal, spoken word and acoustic instrument recording
- Up to 96 kHz/24-bit HD recording
- Works with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac
- Lightning and Mac USB cables included
- Easy to use, no setup required
- Gain knob and level indicator make setting level easy
- Made for GarageBand and Logic Pro
- Low-noise digital connection with high-gain, studio-quality preamp
- Made in the U.S.A.
Did you notice?Three products in one, MiC combines a microphone, a mic preamp and a digital converter – everything you need to record.
Apple Recommends ForAnyone who wants a high-quality condenser microphone with incredible sound and total portability for recording on iPad, iPhone, or Mac.
What's in the Box?
- Apogee MiC digital microphone
- Lightning cable for connection to iOS devices (1 m/3.3 ft.)
- USB cable for connection to Mac (1 m/3.3 ft.)
- Desktop tripod
- Microphone stand adaptor
- QuickStart guide
- Height : 11.58 cm/4.56 in.
- Width : 3.86 cm/1.52 in.
- Weight : 181.4 g/6.4 oz.
- Mac OS X v10.7.5 or later or iOS 6.1 or later
- 1.5 GHz or faster Intel processor
- 2 GB of RAM minimum; 4 GB recommended
- For Mac: GarageBand, Logic Pro, MainStage or any Core Audio compatible application. For iOS: Made for GarageBand on iPod touch, iPhone and iPad. Works with other Core Audio compatible apps.
- Mfr. Part Number : MiC 96k-LO
- UPC or EAN No. : 805676301235
- Note : Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
GarageBand turns your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch into a collection of Touch Instruments and a fully featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play a piano, organ, guitar and drums. They sound and play like their counterparts, but let you do things you could never do on a real instrument. Enjoy Smart Instruments that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug an electric guitar into your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch and play through classic amps and stompbox effects.* Use a Touch Instrument, a built-in microphone or a guitar, and instantly record a performance. GarageBand now takes song creation to the next level with support for up to 32 tracks.** Get even more sounds for GarageBand with a one-off in-app purchase or record popular third-party music apps using Inter-App Audio in iOS 7. And share your song using email, Facebook, YouTube, SoundCloud or AirDrop for iOS.
Play your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch like a musical instrument
• Play musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Tap out beats with an acoustic and electronic drum kit
• Record your voice using the built-in microphone and apply fun sound effects
• Recreate legendary guitar rigs with 9 amps and 10 stompbox effects*
• Use the Sampler to create an instrument from sounds you record, then play them on a keyboard*
• Record compatible third-party music apps into GarageBand using Inter-App Audio in iOS 7
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Conduct an entire string orchestra with just one finger using Smart Strings*
• Tap chords to instantly create keyboard grooves with the Smart Keyboard*
• Strum chords on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar, trigger fingerpicking patterns for popular chords or switch to Notes view to try your hand at the real thing
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric and synth sounds*
• Drag drum instruments onto a grid to create your own beats with Smart Drums*
Start a Jam Session with your friends
• Use your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch to play or record live over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with up to three of your friends
• Tempo, key, time signature and chords automatically sync to the bandleader
• Jam with any Touch Instrument or live instruments like electric guitar or voice
• The bandleader automatically collects everyone’s recordings so they can be mixed as a song and shared
Create a song anywhere you go
• Arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks** using Touch Instruments, audio recordings and loops
• Use the Note Editor to adjust or fine-tune any Touch Instrument recording
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Use the Mixer to fine-tune each track’s volume — solo or mute any track or adjust pan, reverb and echo
• Choose from over 250 professionally pre-recorded loops as a backing band to your song
Share your songs
• Keep your GarageBand songs up to date across all your iOS devices with iCloud
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch
• Share your songs directly to Facebook, YouTube and SoundCloud
• Email songs straight from GarageBand
• Export your song and add it to the iTunes library on your Mac or PC
• Share GarageBand projects directly between iOS devices using AirDrop for iOS
* Requires one-off in-app purchase for the complete collection of GarageBand instruments and sounds.
** 32 tracks available on iOS devices with the A7 chip. 16 tracks available on iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPad (4th generation), iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2, iPad mini and iPod touch (5th generation). …
Ratings & Reviews
A superb, compact mic
This was my first microphone purchase, for use with a Mac Pro. Having a Yamaha USB receiver as my sound output device, I wanted a This was my first microphone purchase, for use with a Mac Pro. Having a Yamaha USB receiver as my sound output device, I wanted a USB mic of comparable quality for the sound input device. After evaluating a lot of choices, I settled on the Apogee, where their outstanding website and its thorough info and sound samples made it clear that these people are dead serious about high quality sound. It was also the case that I wanted a mic that looked great on my desktop, and not stick out like a bizarre thumb as some competing mics do. This is one of the best things I've ever bought, delivering high quality sound without taking up a lot of space. …
- Written by Richard S from Framingham
63 of 66 people found this useful
In the right hands, this thing is GOLD.
As a songwriter, I do/have done a lot of demo-ing/recording on my mobile studio(GarageBand on a MacBook Pro) and the Mic has quick As a songwriter, I do/have done a lot of demo-ing/recording on my mobile studio(GarageBand on a MacBook Pro) and the Mic has quickly become one of the most used toys of mine. Works GREAT for vocals and, with knowledge of mic positioning, sounds as good as any mic I've ever heard for acoustic guitars. Definitely do not regret buying!!! …
- Written by Kevin C from Sherman Oaks
40 of 42 people found this useful
Great Mic, nice sound, compact size.
I used the mic mostly with my iPad mini, but i connected it also to mac and Windows machine ( yes it works with windows, but Hi,
I used the mic mostly with my iPad mini, but i connected it also to mac and Windows machine ( yes it works with windows, but not as usual USB mic but you need to install ASIO4all free asio drivers and off course use recording application which is able to use asio drivers - all DAW windows software and some consumer audio editing soft like Audacity compiled with asio support... it is not perfect but works for me and some other people)
- Regarding the sound, this is really great.
- Build quality - all metal housing speaks for itself - actually it is pretty heavy for the size because of it...
- Regarding the cabling, all cables are short but... if you need longer cable and you are using mac then instead of buying dedicated expensive Apogee 3m cable you can use cheap USB extension cable.
What's more, if you need a longer connection to your iPad and -! if you already have an apple lightning to USB Camera Adapter !- then u can use a trick and instead of using apogee_to_lightning short cable ( or buying Apogee expensive extension) you can use (Apogee_to_USB)+(USB extension cable)+( Apple lightning to USB Camera Adapter) and it should work as I tried with my iPad mini this connection without the USB extension (Apogee_to_USB)+( Apple lightning to USB Camera Adapter) and it worked fine :) an extension cable of 3 meters should not cause the trouble in my opinion. …
- Written by Grzegorz G from Warszawa
17 of 18 people found this useful
was hopeful but now SO frustrated
I wanted to love this microphone. My needs are super simple and not even musical. I bought this microphone to record simple audio I wanted to love this microphone. My needs are super simple and not even musical. I bought this microphone to record simple audio with video on Ipad or Iphone. First, this is not quite plug and play, since I had to trouble-shoot several issues .....but once I figured out how to record WITH sound (at first the blue light looked like I was recording sound as well as video, but no sound on replay) I discovered that it is impossible to power ipad or iphone when recording, since this mic plugs into lightning charger space, with no such thing as a splitter involved. Since recording requires plenty of power, I just feel totally frustrated. I know I need to record at least one hour at a time and don't see how to do it. If you see something I don't or know how to work around, you may love this mic, but I wish I'd put out the extra $100 and bought the ONE. Best of luck! …
- Written by Katharine T M from San Mateo
5 of 9 people found this useful
Excellent SNR. It picks up all the tiny ambient parts of a vocal or analog instrumental. Just the texture on a good voice that i Excellent SNR. It picks up all the tiny ambient parts of a vocal or analog instrumental. Just the texture on a good voice that it picks up is phenomenal. …
- Written by Mark Z from Santa Monica
3 of 3 people found this useful
I'm a trumpet player. I bought this to do some self-recording of my practice and to make audition recordings. Its size and porta I'm a trumpet player. I bought this to do some self-recording of my practice and to make audition recordings. Its size and portability were the real deciding factor in buying it.
Over a year later, I still love it. The sound quality is fantastic. In a matter of minutes, I was up and recording. It is super easy to set up to record into an iPhone (I have a 4S and use it in Garage Band or Multitrack DAW). I've used it with an iPad and iMac as well. It is as easy as can be.
It feels solid and well-built. It has even sustained a fall with 0 damage anywhere. For a case, I use one of my wife's rotary-cutter cases and it holds the mic nicely (I cut out the foam holder jot came in) and it flits nicely in my music bag. Totally worth it. …
- Written by Glenn R from CANTON
2 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can I use the Apogee Microphone for the iPod 5th generation if I already got a iPod 5th generation adaptor wire?.
- Asked by Joshua A
- Jun 26, 2014
Does this include the microphone stand adapter?
- Asked by Timothy M from Canberra
- May 16, 2014
Yes, both the microphone stand clip and tabletop tripod are available on MiC world wide.
- Answered by Rob C from Santa Monica
- May 17, 2014
does mic work with a synth
- Asked by John R from Bloomington
- Aug 3, 2012
MiC is designed like all other microphones to pick up moving sound waves in the air such as instrume MiC is designed like all other microphones to pick up moving sound waves in the air such as instruments, voices or speakers. You can connect a synth to an amplifier/speaker and place Mic in front of it. You can also utilize another piece of gear like JAM, ONE or Duet to connect the output of the synth directly to your iOS device or Mac. …
- Answered by Rob C from Santa Monica
- May 1, 2014