Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
219 Questions from the Community
Thunderbolt display cable length/extension
Apple doesn't say, but I've read that the integral Thunderbolt cable is just one meter (or three feet approx.). I have also read that it is possible to extend this by purchasing the two meter Thunderbolt cable from Apple and connecting to the extra port, but then I will not have powered USB / Firewire ports on the display.
Question: is there a connector that would allow me to extend the integral cable by adding Apple's cable and thus retain use of the Thunderbolt port and allow power to the USB & Firewire ports.
I am will be using this with a rMacbook Pro. I have some work I need to do at a few feet distant from the monitor.
- Asked by Jonathan B from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display cable length/extension)
Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS
If the thunderbolt display is connected to my home network via ethernet (i.e. to my router)and also to a thunderbolt storage drive (such as the LaCie 4TB 2 big thunderbolt drive), will the storage drive function as a NAS that can be accessed by other devices on my network (e.g. for streaming photos and music to my Sonos, PC laptop, etc without a macbook being connected to the display too)?
- Asked by Tim A
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS)
No. The computer is necessary to control the Thunderbolt drive to share it on a network. If the computer is not connected to the Thunderbolt Display there is no connection of the drive to the network.
- Answered by James H from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS)
Yes, The Apple Cinema Display only has an old iSight camera that can be used for face time but the Thunderbolt Display has a better HD quality camera. I personally have both and can definitely tell that the thunderbolt has a much better camera.
will this display work with a mac book pro bought in 2011
- Asked by Ian G from West Bloomfield
- Flag as inappropriate (will this display work with a mac book pro bought in 2011)
Is any Sunshade for 27" monitor?
- Asked by Jose S R from Los Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate (Is any Sunshade for 27" monitor?)
Can i add in the end of the chain a non thunderbolt display as 2nd display
i am setting up my new work desk, and have the following plan:
1 Mac Book Pro (Latest)
then via TB 1 x 27inch Thunderbolt Display
then via TB 1x Pegasus R6 Raid
and then as the last one in the chain a Normal 2010 Display port
Will that work?
- Asked by Benjamin S from Malden
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i add in the end of the chain a non thunderbolt display as 2nd display)
yes if as long as you connect you connect your older display to the thunderbolt one and have a thunder bolt cable from the thunderbolt display to macbok pro
- Answered by Mike L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i add in the end of the chain a non thunderbolt display as 2nd display)
Does this display work with the Late 2012 iMacs (5mm edge)?
Looking to get confirmation from someone that this display works with the new Late 2012 iMacs, as this computer is not listed in Question #3 of the Thunderbolt Display FAQ: support.apple. com/kb/HT5219
I realize this list just describes computers that have Thunderbolt ports, which the Late 2012 iMacs obviously have. The reason I am concerned is that when the Late 2012 iMacs were available on the online Apple Store for configuration, the Thunderbolt Display is not included as an option. So then when checking the FAQ, I saw these models of iMacs were not listed.
Anyone with the ability to verify these displays work with the new iMacs please let us know, thanks!
- Asked by Dan B from Brooklyn
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this display work with the Late 2012 iMacs (5mm edge)?)
Yes it does. I have one connected to mine.
- Answered by Miguel P from Pasig City
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this display work with the Late 2012 iMacs (5mm edge)?)
What kind of mount do you need in order to rotate a Thunderbold display into a portrait display
Looking into purchasing a Thunderbolt but would like to rotate it back and forth between landscape and portrait display, can this be possible, if so what kind of mount do I need to purchase?
- Asked by Daniel R from Ithaca
- Flag as inappropriate (What kind of mount do you need in order to rotate a Thunderbold display into a portrait display)
This will be arriving about the 25th of april - and will be able to tell you then. but for now am planning on this to happen with the following - VideoSecu LCD LED TV Wall Mount Full Motion with Swivel Articulating Arm for 23-37, up to 42 in TV Flat Panel Screen With VESA 200 100, 20 in extension and Post-installation Leveling System A35 by VideoSecu - am using amazon.
- Answered by Virgil P from Lake Oswego
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What kind of mount do you need in order to rotate a Thunderbold display into a portrait display)
can a thunderbolt display be used with a KMV switch?
To use the display for both a Mac tower and a Windows tower.
- Asked by Robert K from Philadelphia
- Flag as inappropriate (can a thunderbolt display be used with a KMV switch?)
Does the stand detach from the display unit? I would like to purchase one of these but need to transport in a suitcase (with plenty of padding!).Answer
Apple offers a VESA adapter for iMac and Thunderbolt displays (NOT the Adapter for the Cinema display), which seems to include a tool to remove the detachable stand.
So basically: Yes, the stand is detachable, but you may have to buy the VESA iMac adapter to get the tool required to detach the stand.
What is the longest cable to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a Mac Pro?
The standard cable isn't long enough
- Asked by Ben G from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the longest cable to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a Mac Pro?)
What are the thunderbolt display dimensions
I have a space in which I'd like to insert the display, 21"x23"-
Is there a display to fit that space?
- Asked by Eva T from Bermuda Dunes
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the thunderbolt display dimensions)
It is 25.7 X 19.3
- Answered by Christopher A from Apo
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What are the thunderbolt display dimensions)
You connect your sound system to your computer, either your laptop, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro--whichever one you have. If your system uses USB, it should plug right into the display. It does not have an audio line in or out.
- Answered by Sam D from Grayslake
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (would i be able to hook up my sony surround sound system to the display? (any adapters that would work?))
What type of IPS display is this model? AH-IPS or something else?
- Asked by Matt R from Pittsfield
- Flag as inappropriate (What type of IPS display is this model? AH-IPS or something else?)
Is the display area of this monitor flush when situated next to the next (2013) 27" iMac? If not how difficult would it be to align them?
I realise they are different case designs etc but looking at the tech specs they are different heights, I am more concerned with the displayable areas aligning rather than the cases being flush....
Apple Display Power in UAE
Hi, I am moving to UAE next month and I would like to know if my Apple 27" display will work there. It's not the Thunderbolt model but the previous incantation of this display.
- Asked by Shawn S from Germantown
- Flag as inappropriate (Apple Display Power in UAE)
What dimensions and weight is the box the Thunderbolt Display ships in?
- Asked by Grant O from Westerville
- Flag as inappropriate (What dimensions and weight is the box the Thunderbolt Display ships in?)
Is the monitor HDCP compliant?
- Asked by Ethan W from East Lyme
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the monitor HDCP compliant?)