Similar questions from the community
Where is the "radio mode" setting in the new 2013 802.11AC Airport Extreme?
I want to set both bands on the router to wireless N. At the moment, the 2.4ghz channel is defaulting to b/g, with speed reductions on that band as a result. I have a separate wireless network for b/g devices and I want to restrict the new 2013 airport express router to N. This was possible on earlier models.
- Asked by Adam Y
- Flag as inappropriate (Where is the "radio mode" setting in the new 2013 802.11AC Airport Extreme?)
Can one Airport Extreme (802.11ac) improve the performance of a new iMac (802.11ac) in a small Airport network?
I’m swapping out my 5 year old iMac for a new 27” iMac, which supports 802.11ac. If I purchase just one Apple Airport Extreme (which supports 802.11ac) will it improve the new iMac’s performance, given the network configuration in my house? Here are the details.
My ISP is Comcast and I have an xfinity modem. I have an older Apple Airport Extreme as my network “hub”. It is cabled to the Comcast modem. Both are located in upstairs bedroom.
Also upstairs, in the office (down the hall from the bedroom) I have an Apple Airport Express, the old iMac and my wireless printer. The new iMac will replace the old iMac in the office.
Downstairs is a second Apple Airport Express, cabled directly to WiFi stereo speakers. Also downstairs, but in a different room, is an Apple TV connected to an HDTV.
1. If I purchase a new Extreme, but use it to replace the Express that sits adjacent to the iMac, am I correct to presume that I won’t see any improvement in the new iMac's performance over the performance I'd get with my existing Airport equipment? (In this scenareo the “hub” of my network would remain the old Extreme located in the bedroom.) The new Extreme (802.11ac) and new iMac (both located in the office) would have a fast 802.11ac link between them, but slower links would exist between the Extreme and everything else. Correct?
2. If I use a new Extreme to replace the old “hub” Extreme in the bedroom (that connects directly to my Comcast modem) it will be about 45 ft from the new iMac with many walls in between (some of which are tiled).
- Am I correct to assume that it is too far away to reliably support the iMac in the office?
- If I continue to use the old Express in the office, with a new Extreme in the bedroom, I would maintain the same signal reliability that I have now, but would have no increase in throughput speed performance. Correct?
- Would a second Extreme be needed in the office, in clear range of the new iMac?
- Asked by Dennis H from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate (Can one Airport Extreme (802.11ac) improve the performance of a new iMac (802.11ac) in a small Airport network?)
Can I use multiple airport extremes to improve connectivity in a house?
I live in a 70 year old townhouse that is constructed of poured concrete. We currently have our cable modem and (older than 5 year) airport extreme router in the basement with our computers. The signal strength to the main floor is weak, even with a booster. The signal strength on the top floor is terrible. Can I improve wireless reception throughout the house if I upgrade the basement router to a new airport extreme and also install airport extreme routers on the main and top floors as signal boosters? Can I leave the cable modem in the basement or should I move it to the first floor where there is a cable connection? Is there a better solution to improve wireless connectivity in this home situation?
- Asked by Steven P from Chicago
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use multiple airport extremes to improve connectivity in a house?)
Is the AirPort Extreme a valid router to use on an NBN Fibre connection?
- Asked by Brendan B from Enmore
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the AirPort Extreme a valid router to use on an NBN Fibre connection?)
Does the Airport Extreme no longer function as an AirPlay device? AirPlay is one of the main reasons I use Apple routers instead of other ones.
- Asked by Margaret T from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Extreme no longer function as an AirPlay device? AirPlay is one of the main reasons I use Apple routers instead of other ones.)
Can the AirPort Extreme connect to AOL broadband?
I have AOL broadband and would be interested in upgrading my existing wireless router, but I want to know if the AirPort Extreme is compatible with AOL (now TISCALI).
- Asked by Robin R
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the AirPort Extreme connect to AOL broadband?)
Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?
At present I have a Time Capsule next to my router and an Airport Express elsewhere in the house to extend the range. However I still have areas where I cannot receive WiFi. If I replace the Express with an Extreme will I get a better and more far reaching signal? Or should I just buy another Express?
- Asked by Margaret S from Tiverton
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?)
can you use keyboard with airport extreme on sony TV
have a wired connection from Airport express to my Sony TV . Can I use a Keyboard instead of the remote ???
- Asked by Orlando C from Rio. Rancho
- Flag as inappropriate (can you use keyboard with airport extreme on sony TV)
Will using a new Airport Express in bridge mode together with the Extreme result in slower speeds?
Using Airport Extreme and Airport Express in bridge mode
- Asked by David B from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (Will using a new Airport Express in bridge mode together with the Extreme result in slower speeds?)
what is the difference between the airport express and the airport extreme?
- Asked by Spencer M from Oklahoma City
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the difference between the airport express and the airport extreme?)
I want to buy two of the new Airport Extremes and connect one to my cable modem and the other to extend my network. Will this work & how do I do it?
I want to use one as the main router and the other as an extender. If this is possible please tell me how to do this.
Does the Airport Extreme router support ODE?
I have an ethernet device that converts from ethernet to DMX for a lighting system. The conversion box can be powered off ODE and want to know if I can use that with the Airport Extreme.
- Asked by John R from Chula Vista
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Extreme router support ODE?)
No answers yet
Airport Extreme with Wifi Broadband Stick
Currently, I am using a wifi stick attached to my router with USB (for 3G) to share my unlimited internet to all my device. I would like to know if I can extend or improve my connection by using Airport Extreme, aside from the features already mentioned e.g. HD sharing, printer sharing etc.
- Asked by Eric P from Beverly Hills
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport Extreme with Wifi Broadband Stick)
No answers yet
Can the AirPort Extreme be used as a WAP or will it only route?
I need to use this in a business environment where it needs to connect to servers on a particular network. The new MacBook Pro does not have an Ethernet NIC built in so I need to buy the USB NIC or WAP.
- Asked by Jason S from Garden Grove
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the AirPort Extreme be used as a WAP or will it only route?)
Can airport extreme output audio via usb to a DAC?
- Asked by Joseph S from Caguas
- Flag as inappropriate (Can airport extreme output audio via usb to a DAC?)