Similar questions from the community
Where is the "radio mode" setting in the new 2013 802.11AC Airport Extreme?
I want to set both bands on the router to wireless N. At the moment, the 2.4ghz channel is defaulting to b/g, with speed reductions on that band as a result. I have a separate wireless network for b/g devices and I want to restrict the new 2013 airport express router to N. This was possible on earlier models.
- Asked by Adam Y
- Flag as inappropriate (Where is the "radio mode" setting in the new 2013 802.11AC Airport Extreme?)
Can one Airport Extreme (802.11ac) improve the performance of a new iMac (802.11ac) in a small Airport network?
I’m swapping out my 5 year old iMac for a new 27” iMac, which supports 802.11ac. If I purchase just one Apple Airport Extreme (which supports 802.11ac) will it improve the new iMac’s performance, given the network configuration in my house? Here are the details.
My ISP is Comcast and I have an xfinity modem. I have an older Apple Airport Extreme as my network “hub”. It is cabled to the Comcast modem. Both are located in upstairs bedroom.
Also upstairs, in the office (down the hall from the bedroom) I have an Apple Airport Express, the old iMac and my wireless printer. The new iMac will replace the old iMac in the office.
Downstairs is a second Apple Airport Express, cabled directly to WiFi stereo speakers. Also downstairs, but in a different room, is an Apple TV connected to an HDTV.
1. If I purchase a new Extreme, but use it to replace the Express that sits adjacent to the iMac, am I correct to presume that I won’t see any improvement in the new iMac's performance over the performance I'd get with my existing Airport equipment? (In this scenareo the “hub” of my network would remain the old Extreme located in the bedroom.) The new Extreme (802.11ac) and new iMac (both located in the office) would have a fast 802.11ac link between them, but slower links would exist between the Extreme and everything else. Correct?
2. If I use a new Extreme to replace the old “hub” Extreme in the bedroom (that connects directly to my Comcast modem) it will be about 45 ft from the new iMac with many walls in between (some of which are tiled).
- Am I correct to assume that it is too far away to reliably support the iMac in the office?
- If I continue to use the old Express in the office, with a new Extreme in the bedroom, I would maintain the same signal reliability that I have now, but would have no increase in throughput speed performance. Correct?
- Would a second Extreme be needed in the office, in clear range of the new iMac?
- Asked by Dennis H from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate (Can one Airport Extreme (802.11ac) improve the performance of a new iMac (802.11ac) in a small Airport network?)
would the airport extreme replace a lynksys router
We live in an apartment that is 180 square meters, and currently re using a lynksys router. I was reading about the Airport Extreme and was wondering if I can replace the router. Currently the signal comes and goes and it is difficult in certain areas of the apartment
We have an ethernet connection with the internet supplier at 25 mg speed. How will this product improve what we already have?
- Asked by Victoria C from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate (would the airport extreme replace a lynksys router)
does the airport extreme have airplay capability?
- Asked by Marta S from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate (does the airport extreme have airplay capability?)
- Asked about: Mac
Can I use multiple airport extremes to improve connectivity in a house?
I live in a 70 year old townhouse that is constructed of poured concrete. We currently have our cable modem and (older than 5 year) airport extreme router in the basement with our computers. The signal strength to the main floor is weak, even with a booster. The signal strength on the top floor is terrible. Can I improve wireless reception throughout the house if I upgrade the basement router to a new airport extreme and also install airport extreme routers on the main and top floors as signal boosters? Can I leave the cable modem in the basement or should I move it to the first floor where there is a cable connection? Is there a better solution to improve wireless connectivity in this home situation?
- Asked by Steven P from Chicago
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use multiple airport extremes to improve connectivity in a house?)
Is the AirPort Extreme a valid router to use on an NBN Fibre connection?
- Asked by Brendan B from Enmore
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the AirPort Extreme a valid router to use on an NBN Fibre connection?)
does the airport extreme support voip?
I have a NBN connection and voip phone but as I am having trouble with the voip on my billion router am looking for one that supports voip
- Asked by Elaine H from Taree
- Flag as inappropriate (does the airport extreme support voip?)
Can the Airport express just die?
I woke up and my old airport express had no litghs lit up and I I lost my wifi connection, however my router is still working
- Asked by Alan G from South Yarmouth
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport express just die?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
No answers yet
If i use airport express as main router from modem and connect to airport extreme in separate building 150 feet away, does the 10/100 LAN ratelimit th
I want to improve my existing 6 year old network. My existing network uses Linksys W54G router connected to Charter cable modem. This is connected to a switch and Linksys access point in main house 150 feet away via 5e cable. Both locationis have computers wired to network as well as wireless connections as well.
I want to add hard drive capability connectd directly to this network aswell as increase speed of the system. Ideally I would like to replace Linksys router with airport express that would serve as the primary router feeding an airport extreme as a bridges router that has hard drive connected to it in the main house.
Will the 10/100 limit of the express limit the overall communications speed between the modem and main house wireless running on the APE? Will the computer in the office building be ablle to talk to the hard drive on the airport extreme?
- Asked by Richard W from Traverse City
- Flag as inappropriate (If i use airport express as main router from modem and connect to airport extreme in separate building 150 feet away, does the 10/100 LAN ratelimit th)
Can the AirPort Extreme connect to AOL broadband?
I have AOL broadband and would be interested in upgrading my existing wireless router, but I want to know if the AirPort Extreme is compatible with AOL (now TISCALI).
- Asked by Robin R
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the AirPort Extreme connect to AOL broadband?)
Would this work with an Orcon fibre connection in New Zealand (to replace the ISP provided router)
Our current ISP provided router connects to the fibre ONT using ethernet, would the AirPort Extreme be suitable to replace my current router?
- Asked by Vivian M from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate (Would this work with an Orcon fibre connection in New Zealand (to replace the ISP provided router))
Does the Airport Extreme no longer function as an AirPlay device? AirPlay is one of the main reasons I use Apple routers instead of other ones.
- Asked by Margaret T from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Extreme no longer function as an AirPlay device? AirPlay is one of the main reasons I use Apple routers instead of other ones.)
Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?
At present I have a Time Capsule next to my router and an Airport Express elsewhere in the house to extend the range. However I still have areas where I cannot receive WiFi. If I replace the Express with an Extreme will I get a better and more far reaching signal? Or should I just buy another Express?
- Asked by Margaret S from Tiverton
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?)
can you use keyboard with airport extreme on sony TV
have a wired connection from Airport express to my Sony TV . Can I use a Keyboard instead of the remote ???
- Asked by Orlando C from Rio. Rancho
- Flag as inappropriate (can you use keyboard with airport extreme on sony TV)
Will using a new Airport Express in bridge mode together with the Extreme result in slower speeds?
Using Airport Extreme and Airport Express in bridge mode
- Asked by David B from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (Will using a new Airport Express in bridge mode together with the Extreme result in slower speeds?)
what is the difference between the airport express and the airport extreme?
- Asked by Spencer M from Oklahoma City
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the difference between the airport express and the airport extreme?)