Similar questions from the community
Can AirPort Express be used to link devices such as iMac, iPad, AppleTV etc... WITHOUT ANY INTERNET CONNECTION?
I want to create a wireless network in my home for my apple devices, but do not want to connect them to the internet (at this stage). Will AirPort Express allow me to stream music & video held on my iMac on my TV via AppleTV?
- Asked by Tom B from Adelaide
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPort Express be used to link devices such as iMac, iPad, AppleTV etc... WITHOUT ANY INTERNET CONNECTION?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Is there an option to get internet from another WIFI device (as a cable modem) instead of connecting the modem via Ethernet to the Airport Extreme?
I would like to use an airport extreme and get the internet connection from another router via WIFI instead of connecting it to the ethernet port, in other routers this option is called WISP. Is there this kind of functionality in the airport?
- Asked by Luis M from San Lorenzo
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there an option to get internet from another WIFI device (as a cable modem) instead of connecting the modem via Ethernet to the Airport Extreme?)
Airport Extreme with Wifi Broadband Stick
Currently, I am using a wifi stick attached to my router with USB (for 3G) to share my unlimited internet to all my device. I would like to know if I can extend or improve my connection by using Airport Extreme, aside from the features already mentioned e.g. HD sharing, printer sharing etc.
- Asked by Eric P from Beverly Hills
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport Extreme with Wifi Broadband Stick)
No answers yet
Connecting AP Extreme to gen 3 Time Capsule
Currently have a gen 3 2TB TC connected to my cable modem. TC currently does routing, DHCP, wifi and backup. Wireless on the TC is poor, very poor, having to reboot the TC every few days to keep wifi optimal. I want to add an AP Extreme to the network to do wifi. I would keep the TC connected to the cable modem and it would do DHCP and backup letting the AP Extreme handle wifi. Furthermore the TC is in the basement, the AP would be on the main floor connected via Ethernet to the TC. Anyone see any issues with this? As for connecting the AP to the TC, can I run from one of the GB enet ports on the TC to the WAN port on the AP Extreme or do I have to build a crossover cable to go from gigabit enet to gigabit enet? Thanks!
- Asked by Mark L from Cumming
- Flag as inappropriate (Connecting AP Extreme to gen 3 Time Capsule)
No answers yet
can an old extreme be used with this new one to extend a network?
in other words: if i connect the new one to my router and set it up to send a wi-fi signal, can i use my older extreme like an express and extend my network?
- Asked by Ronald S from Plymouth
- Flag as inappropriate (can an old extreme be used with this new one to extend a network?)
Does the AirPort Extreme have to be connect to a modem to give off wifi.
- Asked by Fedjanhy F from Brooklyn
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort Extreme have to be connect to a modem to give off wifi.)
How many MAC addresses can be added to the ACL list of the Airport Extreme?
I have many devices, most of which are not connected simultaneously, and I only want to allow these devices to connect to the network. I currently have an older Cisco WIFI router that needs to be replaced.
- Asked by Stephen S from Germantown
- Flag as inappropriate (How many MAC addresses can be added to the ACL list of the Airport Extreme?)
Will Final Cut X be able to see a Hard Drive attached via USB over the Wi-Fi network?
At the moment, FCP X doesn't see a drive unless there is storage attached directly to the computer via USB, Firewire or SAN.
Will FCP X see any hard drive over the Wi-Fi network that is attatched to the new Airport Ex?
Basically, is this new Airport Ex a sort of NAS?
- Asked by Jamie M from Reading
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Final Cut X be able to see a Hard Drive attached via USB over the Wi-Fi network?)
My school wifi connection is extremely slow. Will the apple air port help?
- Asked by Robbie M from Denver
- Flag as inappropriate (My school wifi connection is extremely slow. Will the apple air port help?)
does it connect with other switches like belkin or linksys router so i can extend my network extend the network!?
for ex, i hv 4 villas all connected to the main villa through network cable, the main villa has router connected to the internet the rest villas has Belkin switch router that act as access point. so if i use AIRPORT Extreme as Modem router does it will network will be fine???
- Asked by Fahad A from Springfield Gardens
- Flag as inappropriate (does it connect with other switches like belkin or linksys router so i can extend my network extend the network!?)
will it increase film downloading time on first generation apple tv
Internet wifi signal is slow
- Asked by Stella V
- Flag as inappropriate (will it increase film downloading time on first generation apple tv)
Once I've set up the router, can it connect to a PC? Not just an Apple product?
- Asked by Logan C from Belews Creek
- Flag as inappropriate (Once I've set up the router, can it connect to a PC? Not just an Apple product?)
Can the Airport Extreme be used as a switch when connected to a Time Capsule or another Airport Extreme? Also, would this setup improve my WiFi range?
Can this be used without an internet connection or does your modem need to be connected
I have a modem and an iOS device but no external internet connection
- Asked by Merrit G from Mount Morris
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used without an internet connection or does your modem need to be connected)
Can one Airport Extreme (802.11ac) improve the performance of a new iMac (802.11ac) in a small Airport network?
I’m swapping out my 5 year old iMac for a new 27” iMac, which supports 802.11ac. If I purchase just one Apple Airport Extreme (which supports 802.11ac) will it improve the new iMac’s performance, given the network configuration in my house? Here are the details.
My ISP is Comcast and I have an xfinity modem. I have an older Apple Airport Extreme as my network “hub”. It is cabled to the Comcast modem. Both are located in upstairs bedroom.
Also upstairs, in the office (down the hall from the bedroom) I have an Apple Airport Express, the old iMac and my wireless printer. The new iMac will replace the old iMac in the office.
Downstairs is a second Apple Airport Express, cabled directly to WiFi stereo speakers. Also downstairs, but in a different room, is an Apple TV connected to an HDTV.
1. If I purchase a new Extreme, but use it to replace the Express that sits adjacent to the iMac, am I correct to presume that I won’t see any improvement in the new iMac's performance over the performance I'd get with my existing Airport equipment? (In this scenareo the “hub” of my network would remain the old Extreme located in the bedroom.) The new Extreme (802.11ac) and new iMac (both located in the office) would have a fast 802.11ac link between them, but slower links would exist between the Extreme and everything else. Correct?
2. If I use a new Extreme to replace the old “hub” Extreme in the bedroom (that connects directly to my Comcast modem) it will be about 45 ft from the new iMac with many walls in between (some of which are tiled).
- Am I correct to assume that it is too far away to reliably support the iMac in the office?
- If I continue to use the old Express in the office, with a new Extreme in the bedroom, I would maintain the same signal reliability that I have now, but would have no increase in throughput speed performance. Correct?
- Would a second Extreme be needed in the office, in clear range of the new iMac?
- Asked by Dennis H from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate (Can one Airport Extreme (802.11ac) improve the performance of a new iMac (802.11ac) in a small Airport network?)
My Sky Broadband router is in a different room to 3 ethernet devices that I want to connect. How can I do this without linking directly to the router?
I'm considering buying the Airport Extreme but will this enable me to connect multiple ethernet devices to the internet without having to link it directly via the WAN port?
if i want to extend my wifi network should i replace my old airport extreme with the new one and use the old one as an extender
- Asked by Michael C from Brooklyn
- Flag as inappropriate (if i want to extend my wifi network should i replace my old airport extreme with the new one and use the old one as an extender)
How much does the WiFi services cost?
Meaning do I have to go to a company like Verizon or AT&T in order to use this AirPort Time Capsule WiFi?
- Asked by Reginald J from Azusa
- Flag as inappropriate (How much does the WiFi services cost?)