Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
What are the USB ports and Ethernet port on Thunderbolt Displays used for?
So my question is, what all things I can connect to Thunderbolt display's USB ports?
If I connect a thumb drive, will it be accessible? (on mac mini if its connected to thunderbolt display)
If I have connected a Mac mini's thunderbolt port to Thunderbolt display, and for Internet access if I connect LAN cable to Ethernet port of Thunderbolt display, will I get internet connection on my mac mini?
- Asked by Vaibhav D from Pune
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the USB ports and Ethernet port on Thunderbolt Displays used for?)
Thunderbolt display cable length/extension
Apple doesn't say, but I've read that the integral Thunderbolt cable is just one meter (or three feet approx.). I have also read that it is possible to extend this by purchasing the two meter Thunderbolt cable from Apple and connecting to the extra port, but then I will not have powered USB / Firewire ports on the display.
Question: is there a connector that would allow me to extend the integral cable by adding Apple's cable and thus retain use of the Thunderbolt port and allow power to the USB & Firewire ports.
I am will be using this with a rMacbook Pro. I have some work I need to do at a few feet distant from the monitor.
- Asked by Jonathan B from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display cable length/extension)
No answers yet
Can I connect to an external Thunderbolt HDD using the Thunderbolt on the display?
I have purchased a Thunderbolt NAS drive from Apple recently and also have a Thunderbolt enabled Macbook Air.
My question is that if I purchase then new Display, can I connect the NAS through the Thunderbolt port on the back of the Display?
I know this is the case for USB but does it work for Thunderbolt connected drives as well?
- Asked by John H
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect to an external Thunderbolt HDD using the Thunderbolt on the display?)
Can I use both firewire ports (Thunderbolt Display AND Macbook Pro) concurrently?
I have a FW800 external hard drive, which I usually daisy chain through a FW400 audio interface (which brings the speed of both devices down to FW400).
Can I run the hard drive off the thunderbolt display at full (FW800) speed, while running the audio device at FW400 from the Macbook FW port?
- Asked by Christian A from Palmyra
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use both firewire ports (Thunderbolt Display AND Macbook Pro) concurrently?)
Can I charge my iPad with its USB ports?
The USB ports of my MBP are powerful enough to charge an iPad whereas those of a (powered) USB Hub are not (500mA). Do the USB ports of the Thunderbolt Display deliver an equivalent current (2A) so I can charge (maybe even more than one) iPad using those?
- Asked by Heiko B
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I charge my iPad with its USB ports?)
Will the usb ports on this keyboard work with the Thunderbolt display?
- Asked by Brynne P from Charlottesville
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the usb ports on this keyboard work with the Thunderbolt display?)
- Asked about: Apple Keyboard with numeric keypad …
Would Apogee Duet Firewire work via Thunderbolt Cinema Display ?
Bought a macbook air.. wich means no firewire..
I then bought an adapter Firewire to Thunderbolt so I can use my Apogee Duet Firewire but Im shopping now for a display.
If I can use Apogee Duet Firewire through Thunderbol Display firewire port everything would be solved !!!
- Asked by Benoit B from Saint-jean-sur-richelieu
- Flag as inappropriate (Would Apogee Duet Firewire work via Thunderbolt Cinema Display ?)
Will the 27" Thunderbolt Display power a USB SuperDrive?
My SuperDrive works only if I plug it directly into my Retina Display MBP, thus taking up one of the USB ports. My powered USB hub will not power the SuperDrive, and neither will the USB ports on the back of my 30" Cinema Display monitor.
If I get the 27" Thunderbolt Display, can I plug the SuperDrive into one of the USB ports on the back of the display and draw enough power from it?
- Asked by Roger B from Los Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the 27" Thunderbolt Display power a USB SuperDrive?)
Macbook air doesn't have FireWire or Etherne port.. Can I connect the MBA to display and use display ports instead?
Eg. I need to connect my MacBook air to my router via Ethernet cable... Can I use the display to create this connection? Same for FireWire?
Using two thunderbolt displays connected through the TB port (not the pigtale cable)
The "pigtale" cable will be short to reach my mac mini. My question is, if I buy two TB Displays, Can I use the TB port on the 1st display to connect to the mac mini and the pigtale from the 1st display to connect to the 2nd TB display and then be able to use both displays? (mac mini '11 2.5ghz)
Can anybody please check that this actually works?
- Asked by Valentino C from Sao Paulo
- Flag as inappropriate (Using two thunderbolt displays connected through the TB port (not the pigtale cable))
Is it possible to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display 27inch to Mini Mac mini display port? Version from 2010, that doesn't have thunderbolt output?
Thunderbolt to mini display port?
Is the Thunderbolt interface compatiable with the Mini-Display port connection used on my early 2009 MBP? I.e. can I connect it to this Mac?
can a thunderbolt display be used with a KMV switch?
To use the display for both a Mac tower and a Windows tower.
- Asked by Robert K from Philadelphia
- Flag as inappropriate (can a thunderbolt display be used with a KMV switch?)
Can you turn the Thunderbolt Display's volume OFF?
I want to connect the Bose Companion 5 system via USB, but my question is how do I turn off the Thunderbolt Display sound while keeping the sound coming from my Bose Speakers?
Thanks in advance, hope someone can answer this, i'd really appreciate it!
- Asked by Michael C from Riverview
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you turn the Thunderbolt Display's volume OFF?)
Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS
If the thunderbolt display is connected to my home network via ethernet (i.e. to my router)and also to a thunderbolt storage drive (such as the LaCie 4TB 2 big thunderbolt drive), will the storage drive function as a NAS that can be accessed by other devices on my network (e.g. for streaming photos and music to my Sonos, PC laptop, etc without a macbook being connected to the display too)?
- Asked by Tim A
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS)