I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?
We just purchased a new router, so I do not need wi-fi ... I do however need extra space for dvds that I have loaded on my mac. Am I able to use the Time Capsule for storage? will my apple tv be able to play my movies?
- Asked by Brandon K from Pewaukee
- Flag as inappropriate (I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?)
2 Answers from the Community
Yes you can. When you go to set up AirPort Utility it will ask you whether you want to use Time Capsule as a router, it will have several options. And you can select no to the router and choose to just make it a wireless hard drive.
- Answered by Tristan T from North Port
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The airport configuration utility provides an option on the Network tab, at the top, labeled "Router Mode:". You can select "Off (Bridge Mode)" to turn of the DHCP and NAT services which will interfere with your existing network. Then, you just need to cable the time capsule to a LAN port on your other router, or, if you don't have a "LAN" port available, either buy an ethernet switch to increase the number of ports available by daisy chaining the switch off of a LAN port on your router, and then putting the wire that was in that LAN PORT in the switch, and use another wire from the switch to your time capsule.
Alternatively, if you need to wirelessly couple your time capsule to your router, because you have no access to LAN ports for ethernet, then on the Wireless tab, you can select "Extend a wireless network", and then enter the details for how to wirelessly connect to your other wireless router.
But, I would suggest that the best choice would be to switch to using the airport time capsule as your wireless router, and set your new router aside as a backup. The time capsule and the airport utility will work together to provide you and easy to manage system. If firmware fixes are needed for your existing router, you have to know where to check in the router for the current version, and then how to access appropriate updates on the wireless routers web site. With the Timecapsule and having the Airport Utility installed on your computer (if you have a Mac, it comes with it there already), it will tell you that updates are available, and install them for you when you choose to do that.
- Answered by Gregg W from Tulsa
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?
- Asked by Melvin T from Westchester
- Flag as inappropriate (so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Will Final Cut X be able to see a Hard Drive attached via USB over the Wi-Fi network?
- Asked by Jamie M from Reading
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Final Cut X be able to see a Hard Drive attached via USB over the Wi-Fi network?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme