Is the ThunderBolt Display worth the money?
I love my 13" non-retina MacBook pro and I'm curious if the the Thunderbolt display is worth the money. I don't care about the glare as I will be looking out a window so the sun won't reflect on it. I produce music and an extra display would be of huge help. My concern is, is it reliable? I really don't care about height adjustment or anything but is it a quality-built monitor that will last a while? I have a 19" Dell Monitor but its having problems and I would like to upgrade to something better. I am also a school student and I guess it could help with research papers and such.
- Asked by Jesse H from Clarence Center
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the ThunderBolt Display worth the money?)
2 Answers from the Community
I'm in the very same situation as you.
The Apple Thunderbolt Display is a very capable display, but it's starting to show it's age unfortunately.
The USB Ports are 2.0 (not 3.0), it uses the old generation Thunderbolt ports (not Thunderbolt 2) and has considerably more glare/reflection than the new iMac screens.
For the premium price that Apple charges, I would wait for an update.
- Answered by Vlado K from Leura
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I am in agreement with the answer left by Vlado K from Leura. The display, though worth every penny when I got it when it was originally released (Fall 2011) is not worth this premium today, IMO. If it was about 25% to 40% less, yes. But not the full cost for what is essentially a 3 year old display.
I just ordered a new display from a competitor, a 30" Monoprice Display for a little more than half this cost (but with higher resolution). While I don't believe Apple has abandoned the display market, waiting over two years to update their only display offering is just inexcusable. This should have gotten an update last fall, when the new tapered-edge iMacs were introduced, updating not only the case but also updating the ports (USB3), magsafe, etc.
At least while everyone was waiting for the new Mac Pro there were other Mac choices to work with. Apple gave us one display and forgot the whole division existed.
- Answered by Ralph F from Alexander
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Have an ipad2 need new PC want to get MacBookpro Should I get retina display? Is it worth the money. Do alot of photos.
- Asked by Bernadette G from Ambler
- Flag as inappropriate (Have an ipad2 need new PC want to get MacBookpro Should I get retina display? Is it worth the money. Do alot of photos.)
- Asked about: Mac
Is logic pro x worth the money?
- Asked by Devon F from Muncie
- Flag as inappropriate (Is logic pro x worth the money?)
- Asked about: Mac
Is it worth the money the digital av adapter
- Asked by William O from Roswell
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it worth the money the digital av adapter)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter