I have mac version 10.5.8, with version is the best for me to update to?
- Asked by Jose C Santos S
- Flag as inappropriate (I have mac version 10.5.8, with version is the best for me to update to?)
3 Answers from the Community
That depends on your Mac.
If you have a PowePC Mac, then 10.5 is the latest version you can use (without buying a new Mac).
If you have an Intel Mac with 1GB of RAM only, then 10.6 is the latest version that you can use. Snow Leopard will not install into less than 1GB.
If you have an Intel Mac with a 64 bit processor (Core 2 Duo) and at least 2GB of RAM, you can upgrade to 10.7 (Lion). Nearly all Macs made since mid-2007 can be made to meet this criteria - sometimes requiring a RAM upgrade.
If you have an Intel Mac with a 64 bit processor, 64 bit graphics and EFI and at least 2 GB of RAM, you can upgrade to 10.8 (Mountain Lion). The OS X system requirements web page spells out the details.
- Answered by Rodney W from Niddrie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The best version depends on the following:
1) what hardware do you have? That is, which is the latest OS version that still supports your Mac. Search online for the System Requirements for each OS.
2) what software do you plan to keep from your current system? For example, Lion will not support older versions of software that has not been written specifically for the Intel processor because a feature called Rosetta was removed from OS X beginning with Lion. For example, Microsoft Office 2004 will not run in Lion or Mountain Lion, but Microsoft Office 2008 and 2011 will run.
3) if you have a printer or scanner, are drivers available for the new OS?
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
The only upgrade path is through Snow Leopard. All versions after Snow Leopard are purchased through the Mac App Store, which is only available in Snow Leopard and later versions.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
how do i purchase a missed software update?
- Asked by Diana F
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i purchase a missed software update?)
- Asked about: Mac
No answers yet
can i download a new OS if I currently have version 10.5.8?
- Asked by Jamie V from Scituate
- Flag as inappropriate (can i download a new OS if I currently have version 10.5.8?)
- Asked about: Mac