Does AirPort Express Base Station support UPNP?
- Asked by Kianoosh Y from Halifax
- Flag as inappropriate (Does AirPort Express Base Station support UPNP?)
2 Answers from the Community
Alas, no. You'll need a separate machine or NAS to do media serving, and you'll have to do port forwarding manually unless your application also supports Apple's NAT-PMP (Skype, BitTorrent, but not many connected TVs and not XBox and not PSP).
- Answered by Sabahattin G
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
To expand on a bit on the correct answer by Sabahattin G: I called Apple Support to confirm Sabahattin's answer. The tech I spoke to said that Apple considers NAT-PNP and UPnP to be the same spec, so any equipment that works with UPnP enabled routers (Linksys, Netgear) should work with the Airport Extreme. They probably make that claim because Time Capsule uses NAT-PNP to self-configure with the Airport Extreme, and uses UPnP to config with other routers.
In the myopic Apple ecosystem, NAT-PNP replaces UPnP. But if the device you are connecting uses UPnP, do not expect success.
- Answered by Paul W from San Jose
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can this AirPort Extreme support uPnP required by my home server?
- Asked by Howard L from Fremont
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this AirPort Extreme support uPnP required by my home server?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can the Zeppelin Air be used as a WiFi base station Like an Airport Express?
- Asked by Brian B from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Zeppelin Air be used as a WiFi base station Like an Airport Express?)
- Asked about: Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air Speak…