How much more power drain does the Magic Mouse cause to a MacBook Pro compared to a wired mouse?
In a few months I'll be purchasing a MacBook Pro. I'll be setting it up as a desktop with an external HP monitor, an Apple Magic Mouse, an Apple wireless keyboard and a mini Displayport to DVI adaptor. But I'll also use it as laptop sometimes. And I'll probably bring it to school occasionally. I really don't like trackpads very much; I tend to prefer a mouse. So,when i bring it to school I'd like to use the Apple Magic Mouse so I don't need to use the trackpad. I would like to know how much more power using the Magic Mouse would draw from the MacBook Pro compared to a wired mouse. I'd also like to know how long the Macbook Pro's battery would last when I'm using the Magic Mouse with it . I'm asking these questions because the Apple Magic Mouse uses Bluetooth and I know that Bluetooth uses a lot of power.
- Asked by Joshua B from Waterford
- Flag as inappropriate (How much more power drain does the Magic Mouse cause to a MacBook Pro compared to a wired mouse?)
1 Answer from the Community
Actually JB Bluetooth does not use persay "alot" of power when in actual use. Perhaps, you are using the comparison of when one leaves Bluetooth turned on, on say a traditional cell phone which may not have established protocols to prevent the battery drain (ie the phones Bluetooth constantly searches for a device to pair with therefore is always working quietly in the background eating battery.) In the MacBook Pro, it uses a host control interface (Bluetooth controller in your MBP) which is essentially USB based, to provide an over the air signal putting out a max of 250mW which is based on Bluetooth standard protocol (see Bluetooth on Wiki, or under the patent data). Where as the USB can draw up to 4.0W (see USB Wiki).
The short of it is, the tech in your MacBook Pro is there to make life easier. Cut the cord, you will love it, & spend less in the long run especially if you buy the Apple Rechargable Battery Pack. It makes things simple. Enjoy your new MBP! Welcome to the Family!
- Answered by Shawna H from Cedar Park
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
is this magic trackpad bigger than my macbook pro mouse?
- Asked by Camilo A
- Flag as inappropriate (is this magic trackpad bigger than my macbook pro mouse?)
- Asked about: Magic Trackpad
Cursor control with the trackpad on my MacBook Pro is much less precise than the trackball on my Mac Pro. How does the Magic Trackpad compare?
- Asked by Matthew T from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Cursor control with the trackpad on my MacBook Pro is much less precise than the trackball on my Mac Pro. How does the Magic Trackpad compare?)
- Asked about: Magic Trackpad
Is there a way to power on a MacBook Pro with this keyboard?
- Asked by Frederick N from Brick
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to power on a MacBook Pro with this keyboard?)
- Asked about: Apple Keyboard with numeric keypad …