How do I get sound output from the TV (and not the laptop) when I connect my MacBook Air to a TV using Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter?
When I connect my late 2010 13" MacBook Air using the Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter to my Samsung 19" TV or to my View Sonic monitor the display is just fine but the sound keeps coming out of the laptop and not the TV. I have tried the sound settings in System Preferences but the Output menu doesn't show any device attached, just the internal speakers.
2 Answers from the Community
VGA doesn't support sound, only the picture. A separate audio cord is needed for sound. You will plug it into your computer, and into your TV. Follow my instruction.
If you look next to the VGA port on the TV, you will see a sound input. The plug is like the plug used to use your ear buds on your computer. You will need a 4' foot male-to-male stereo plug. I use a 6' cord on mine. That gives me room to put the computer where I want.
- Answered by Donald B from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Thanks a lot for the advice. It just hadn't occurred to me because before purchasing this adapter for Mac I had only used HDMI cables on my PC which did not require any additional audio cord. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. Thanks!
- Answered by Sanjay Kumar S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
can I use apple tv to extend / duplicate my macbook display onto the television?
- Asked by Pavan R from Melbourne
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use apple tv to extend / duplicate my macbook display onto the television?)
- Asked about: Apple TV
I don’t want to buy a new television, but want to be able to use my Toshiba Color Television ColorStream 35A41 with today’s new technology. Is this
- Asked by Marlene V from Holgate
- Flag as inappropriate (I don’t want to buy a new television, but want to be able to use my Toshiba Color Television ColorStream 35A41 with today’s new technology. Is this)
- Asked about: Apple HDMI to HDMI Cable 1.8 m
CONNECT MACBOOK AIR TO HDMI
- Asked by Peter I from South Croydon
- Flag as inappropriate (CONNECT MACBOOK AIR TO HDMI)
- Asked about: Mac