Does the enclosure support solid state drives? The Promise product page lists SATA2 and SATA3 compatibility but few drives are listed as compatible.
3 Answers from the Community
The software that comes with it seems to be 'SSD ready'. For example, when you have a mixture of HDs and SSDs, it would not let you setup a disk array with a mixture of them, you have to decide for either a HD or SSD array - which makes perfect sense of course.
I am sure they have tested several SSDs yet but not gotten around to update their CL.
I have tried some Samsung SSDs and found no problem. The only thing I'm not sure about yet is whether the unit takes care of TRIM when in a RAID setup.
- Answered by Roger D from Freienbach
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I was wondering the same thing. The compatibility list doesn't list any ssd drives but digging around in the manual I found this:
"The Pegasus2 is shipped with 3.5 inch SATA Hard Disk Drives (HDD) installed in the
drive carriers and placed in the drive bays. Users can replace the drives with any of the supported drive types.
For many RAID configurations, it is best to install drives that are identical in type and storage capacity.
The following storage disk types are supported on the Pegasus2:
• 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SATA hard disk drives
• 2.5-inch SSD
•2.5-inch and 3.5-inch Hybrid HDD"
I am thinking this means that, yes, you can put SSDs in the diskless, probably even the disked, bigger ones, but don't expect tech support from apple or promise if the drive isn't listed on their crony-drive list.
- Answered by Cameron A from Grand Rapids
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
The manual on the PROMISE website clearly mentions SSD is supported in several places; however it does not state any details about specific SSD drives that are supported. On the support section of the PROMISE website there is a list of certified HDD's, but no SSD's are listed there. Based on the manual, clearly they intend to support SSD, but apparently it is too soon for them to have actually certified any.
- Answered by Leon S from Dearborn
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can you list all compatible macs instead of that red text?
- Asked by Disorn H from Bangkunprom
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you list all compatible macs instead of that red text?)
- Asked about: Apple Remote
what is a solid state drive?
- Asked by Romano L from Canmore
- Flag as inappropriate (what is a solid state drive?)
- Asked about: Mac
Promise Pegasus2 4tb Drive 5900 / 7200
- Asked by Gareth T
- Flag as inappropriate (Promise Pegasus2 4tb Drive 5900 / 7200)
- Asked about: PROMISE Pegasus2 R Series 4TB SATA …
No answers yet